Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Stress Challenges

9 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi JayDee,

I am sorry to hear about all the challenges you have had to work through in the past few days. One point I want you to think about is your use of language. Language can act as a lens in which we see the world. How we define things with language shapes how we see things. By labeling something as "very stressful" we almost encourage ourselves to get stressed over it. Yet, "very stressfull" can be subjective and can vary from person to person. Knowing this how else could you define the events of the last few days? What would be a more helpful label? What way of looking at it would sooth your anxiety as opposed to provoking it?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jaydee, I had sensory overload going to a really big supermarket. I couldn't believe the choices! I think I live a simple life, but I guess I miss a lot, reading what Davit can cook. There's something I do to tone down the sensory input, by not absorbing it. The other way is to avoid the situations, but that's hard, since it sounded like the situation imposed itself on you. The last couple of months, I've spent so much time in a hospital, it almost feels like home. Maybe that's not a good thing.
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just spent two and a half hours cleaning up a flower bed. I feel better now than I did this morning.
It is getting hot now and smokey. I'm taking a little break now before tackling the strawberry bed. First I have to dig a few potatoes. Then switch sprinklers. Mornings are cool now so I can get something done. Richard and Gus were supposed to come over and help me cut boards on my saw mill. It will soon be too hot to. They are also working for the Robson Valley Music Festival this weekend. If they work setting up they get a free pass. Richard supplies free camping on his farm too.
Karin is back from the wedding so I'm back to working around someone else's routine which I am not used to. I will get used to it again.Yes this does cause some stress as we do things different and have different priorities. So far I'm managing. 
Hmmm. I just noticed it is lunch time. Time flies when you are having fun. 

Davit
9 years ago 0 219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,

Today must be my coal day. My sensory overload was sound and people. Looking back a couple of weeks I recalled the hedge apples by the creek. I put in my earplugs, but did not turn on any sound and went and kicked some hedge apples into the creek. I did manage to take a nap as well. I feel a bit more composed now than I did earlier. The only sound I hear right at the moment is my typing on the keyboard and a few birds in the yard. 

I asked myself the questions you responded with and found a few answers to each of them. Now, I just need to find a coping skill for when I have sensory overload.  I'm out of flour, so no baking this evening. I have fabric for a quilt cut and ready, but not prepared for the sound of my sewing machine. The evening is young, I have ear plugs, so that could change. Accomplishment is good. 

Thank you for the insight.
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Some days are diamond, some days are coal. (same material {carbon} depends what you do with it) CBT is limited if you are just too tired to handle the load. If you are so tired you can't think straight there is little you can do other than avoidance or acceptance. So you can still have crappy days even with coping skills. Talking agitation and anxiety not panic. It does get better with time. It depends on what type of overload. Some stuff can't be changed to positive, like a dog barking and barking for no reason. Hard to tune that out, but some people manage.
You can try the question, "why is this bothering me?" 
A note on tired, fight or flight is more likely to be there when you are tired as a survival skill. So the other question you have to ask is, "is it necessary to be this vigilant?"
So what can you use as a distraction from the overload? 
I don't get this very much anymore but at one time nothing moved without me noticing. This can be a good thing around machinery but is not so good in a busy mall.
Then there are the side effects of the overload which in my case are raised blood pressure and mild head aches.
My solution is music I like, ear protection, Atenolol and Tylenol. And cut the caffeine for that period.
Everyone is different so you need your own personal coping skills.
I'm fine right now so I'm going to make a coffee. Some people can do this balancing act without even thinking, I have to work at it a bit. Especially if fight or flight wants to react.

After a few hours of running my saw mill I will be more prone than if I was just mowing the lawn. A feeling of accomplishment and knowing it will be there is a big help. (14 cakes)

Davit.

Ps, At the junction of every synapse is a guard that decides if the information is worth passing on. CBT teaches them what is, medication just puts them to sleep. But medication works faster.
 Quote: I'm coping with these stress challenges with the skills I have learned, but feeling something today I can't quite put to word yet. I feel sensory overloaded. 

I'm coping, but struggling with the coping with so much going on. Am I missing something in my CBT? Which leads to the question how do any others on here handle or cope with sensory overload?
The past two weeks have really been a test of my Panic disorder and Agoraphobia or should I say it's testing the CBT skills I've learned. From the Vertigo, to the power outage, to overnight guests last night, to waking up to unexpected banging this morning. Boom, Boom, Boom. I sat straight up in bed, my first thought was someone had started a load of laundry and the washer is off balance. My heart started racing at the urgency of "why in the heck did you start of load of laundry while I was sleeping, to that can't be my washer" as the constant Booms continued. Quickly out of bed to the laundry room I went as I realized the sound was not coming from there. To the living room I went, when my groggy mind realized it was coming from outside. But wait, where are my guests, I pondered as I noticed my unlocked door. To the guest room, I went. Empty of occupants while the boom boom boom continued. At this point, I went to the door and opened it, to see a landscaping crew repairing the yard damage with a dirt tamper on a heavy backhoe beating the ground. I think to myself, Thanks for the phone call to let me know in advance that you were coming to repair the damage. As frustrated as I am at the past and current events, I can say its been very stressful. I'm coping with these stress challenges with the skills I have learned, but feeling something today I can't quite put to word yet. I feel sensory overloaded.

Reading this thread: