Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,522 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Panic Triggers

12 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I definitely realize the thought falls into anxiety - but I am trying to learn how to correct my thoughts   What would be the correct thought in this example?
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The fact you are even thinking it could be anxiety puts it into the realm of anxiety. Does it matter if it is if you know how to deal with it?

Davit.

Here is an example I would like some help with for Lesson 2 and 3:

I am in the cafeteria at work this morning with some friends.  (I woke up with a groggy,tired head this morning - but feeling pretty good otherwise.)  A friend starts telling me a story about another co-workers home re-decorating and I start to feel kind of "hormonal" or "cranky" or "tense".  My immediate thoughts are "darn - is this some anxiety back again". 

What would be the correct thoughts?  I have a hard time identifying the truth sometimes.  Should I say - "Wow - I am a little tired - this is not anxiety - I need to get some extra rest this weekend" or "Yes this is a little anxiety, but I will work on my skills and this will get better"
12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sounds like you have a solid plan! 

The program has a lot of information so try not to get overwhelmed. Create a schedule for yourself and take your time.  Also, be sure to schedule in rewards for yourself.  Rewards are great behaviour change tools.  Reward each success and each session that is completed.

I look forward to hearing about all your successes and trust me, with your attitude and this program there is no doubt you will see lots of progress

Ashley, Health Educator
I already read through Lessons 1 and 2.  I printed out the homework forms and am ready to work on these.  I totally agree that my thoughts about a body symptom trigger my anxiety --- as well as anticipatory thoughts.  I want so bad to learn how to break these terrible, terrible habits!!  So far, I really like this program and think the lessons and homework can really help me. 

I have been seeing a talk type therapist on and off for years and he has helped me work through some things.  But he is not knowledgeable about anxiety or CBT.  He tells me I am one of the most emotionally stable and upbeat clients he has seen --- but that doesn't help my anxiety :)  I am now searching for a CBT counselor in my area to help me along with this program.  I live in a rural area, so CBT counselors are hard to come by.

Awesome answer!

It sounds like you have a lot to motivate you to take control of this

How are you going to get started?
Ashley, Health Educator
Very good question!!  Well it would be much easier - that is for sure :)  I love my life and have a million things I love to do.  But when I have anxiety stirred, it wears me out as I try to ignore the feelings.  Then I don't have the energy I like to have to do things.  It is not noticeable to most people, but I know that I feel tired.

I also believe that even though I try really hard to not let the anxiety keep me from doing things, I know that the fear of how I might feel does probably limit some of the things I volunteer for.  I also hate having to fight the secondary, negative thoughts.

An anxiety free me is much more free and easy and has the energy to work and play 24 x 7 :)!!!
Hi Crockett!

Welcome! First of all, work through the program.  Most of your questions will be answered there.  It takes work to manage anxiety but it is very manageable.  If you have questions Ask the Expert Dr. Farvolden or post here.  We will be here to support you.

It is great that you recognize it is important not to develop any kind of avoidance.  Avoidance makes the anxiety worse and it also limits you.

If you were able to figure out the anxiety and manage it, how would your life be different?

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi everyone - I am new to the Panic Center and really like what I see so far!! I have been working on skills to help my anxiety for about 11 years!!  I truly believe that knowledge is power!!  I have learned a lot about my "mental issues" however I am still working to modify my behavior to stop my anxiety.  I think the root of my anxiety is stress - I love to live a very busy life and run at a fast pace.  However, I think I have finally discovered that when I feel tired, or stressed, or hormonal - I notice that my body is not "perfect" and that triggers my panic.  I don't actually have these actual thoughts - I think the panic happens subconciously.  So --- does anyone have any suggestions for how I can stop being so hypervigilant about my body symptoms and how can I stop myself from being afraid of this and starting the anxiety cycle.  When the anxiety cycle starts then I have to work really hard to not let it develop into any kind of avoidance.

I think if I could figure this out I would go a long way to fixing any other residual anxiety I have.

Reading this thread: