Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

Just an anxiety attack

16 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ouch they can hurt with those nasty needles . Last time i went to the dentist they put a cream on the area first . I didnt feel the injectionh at all it was fantastic . Love the idea of headphones !!
16 years ago 0 341 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ann, you gave me an idea about taking my headset to the dentist in may. I have to have a crown. I'm nervous. My new dentist seems nice, she said they have different ways to help the anxious patients. I"m scared of the needle. At an appointment at my old dentist, they hurt me with the needle and I screamed so loud my husband heard me in the waiting room. I dont like the novocaine numbness, i get panicky. I will discuss the issues with my new dentist..thanks for the ideas.
16 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Flo, Have you discussed your anxiety with your dentist? I used to feel the same way, but after I told my dentist that I suffered from extreme anxiety, she worked with me to help control it during my appointments. Things like making sure there was very little pain, talking me through the procedures she would be doing, and providing headphones to listen to music while I was in the chair, all helped a lot. Also, we had a signal that I could give her while she was working on me so that if my anxiety was rising, she would stop and let me take a few deep breaths to relax myself, before she continued. Dentists are very familiar with patient anxiety (LOL) and the good ones will be very willing help you with this. Good Luck!
16 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Flo . Of course its alright to write here when you having a anxiety attack . In fact well done . If im not posting then its due to me having one and am too afraid to come on here lol . Was going to say the same as Maddie , maybe the doc could give you some medication just for the dentist . Hope you are feeling better now :)
16 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hope you are feeling better. Are you able to ask your doctor for some anxiety medication to take prior to the dental visit? Perhaps this would help in the short term to get through the dental procedure.
16 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
flo, I have moved the thread to where it is better visible. Members can lend excellent support and knowledge to assist you in progressing through this. Take some to read through the exposure session and work towards progression. Make another appointment for next week and work this week on achieving the goal to keeping the appointment. Josie, Health Educator
16 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is ok if I write here when I'm real anxious? I am having an anxiety attack,and am afraid it will turn into a full blown PA. I don't have any support to call. I have a dental appt. at 1:30 pm that I'm going to cancel. I just can't go...... my level of anxiety is too high. I hate this! I really need to go too. What do others do? how do you go?

Reading this thread: