Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

second guessing myself

11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,

I've found that it's better for me to express my feelings rather than to stuff them inside.  If I need to cry, I cry.  If I'm angry or upset, I write it down and then rip up the paper.  I think running is a great way to relieve stress (I tend to walk not run :)  Anyway that you can deal with emotions without bottling everything up inside is beneficial.  I've found when I don't vent and hold everything in, it opens the door to anxiety.  It's better for me to acknowledge my feelings and use coping skills to deal with them rather than deny them and become anxious.  

I'm at the beginning stages of menopause, so I think the only difference is that the result of the hormones makes my emotions more intense for longer than it did before.  Sometimes if I don't know why I'm feeling a certain way, I then realize it's hormones and just write it off as that and know that I'll feel better in a few days.  It's normal and every woman goes through it.  I try not to make decisions or try to work out problems during those times of the month and revisit them when I'm feeling better and that really has helped reduce my stress. It's just temporary and won't last forever :)

Shari

11 years ago 0 66 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone, thanks again for all your comments and tips.  I started to feel better and had a pretty good last two days.  This morning I woke up feeling so out-of-it and has been very difficut to concentrate.  I've haven't really been able to focus and concentrate on anything else today.  The up and down's are quite frustrating!!  I went to a naturopathic clinic and am doing a hormone test early next week to try to assess my hormone levels, which may give me some good information.  as for rest of today... after work, I'm heading home and going for a run outside.  This usually help the mental fog and energy levels.

JD
11 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Justducky,

I am sorry you are feeling depressed and anxious now. It sounds like this is a frustrating situation.  You have already received some great advice from our lovely members. I have heard other members say that their cycle was related to their mood and anxiety. Have you talked to your doctor about this? That would probably be a good next step.

If your doctor rules out your hormones as the culprit we will just have to help you in keeping track of your thoughts and behaviours.For example, do you eat different or exercise differently on these times of the month? Is there a possible thought trigger?

Please keep us updated in what you find!

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi, thanks for your tips.  Its nice to know I'm not alone.  I just feel so one edge all day, like I don't know what to do with myself, and spacey and on the verge of tears every few hours.  I have to go into work tomorrow but the thought of it makes me anxious.  I guess I'm worried I'll start crying or have lots of anxiety.  I'm gonna go because its better than staying at home with my thoughts all day.  I'm gonna try to relax tonight....
really hoping this will pass

Just ducky

11 years ago 0 373 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Justducky,
Hi.  I wanted to share that I have been doing a lot of tracking and relating my anxiety levels with my menstrual cycle, too. 
I've read that anxiety can be a symptom of PMS, (and it can be caused by hormonal imbalances in perimenopause and menopause).  From what I've read (and experienced), it’s often worse in the second half of your menstrual cycle and they mention insomnia as well. 

You could talk to your doctor about taking supplements to try to regulate this.  I've been reading lots of success stories.  I wish you well in discovering more about yourself and managing your anxiety, especially during more difficult times!

This program is wonderful for learning how to cope with anxiety but sometimes there are physical reasons for our anxiety that need to be addressed, don't you agree?

I wish you well and I wish you peace,
Carmie
11 years ago 0 56 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm fairly certain that some of my anxiety and depression is related to my hormones.

I can't offer you much more than that, just know that it's not unusual. Knowing that I will feel better in a couple days helps.
Hey everyone.  I seem to go through cycles of having a few good days (almost a week), and then falling into a cycle of depression/anxiety.  I'm tracking it to see if it is hormonal.  The weekend before last and the first 3 days of the week, I felt pretty good, and then last Thursday I just hit a wall - not sleeping well, increased anxiety, very negative head space.  I haven't come out of it yet.  It is day 2 of my menstrual cycle and I know that this has a little bit to do with it.  Until it passes though, I seem to obsess and get anxious over whether I will feel better or not.  I get very depressed in these periods and it scares me.  Any women out there experience this?

JD

Reading this thread: