Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Cognitive Exposure

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.751 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,601 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DMARY CHRISTINE, DILOIZA MARHYZ, AFRANCESCA, SERI, MROZELLMAY

hello my name is brenda

13 years ago 0 424 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Davit..
Yes, i did have trama in my chilhood years..
I am sure it is all connected....
Brenda

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brenda.

All of your fears have one thing in common. Not having control of the situation. Where it comes from may be hard to tell. Most likely something traumatic in the past that you had no control over. This can build a core belief that causes you to think it is out of your control and you can add to it building on it. Heights, elevators, closed spaces, busses, planes, and even stores or long line ups. Some people get it so bad they can not leave their house or go into certain rooms.
Some times they can't go into the basement in case the lights go out. 
If this is the case it is a matter of taking back control. The good thing is once you take back control of one situation all the rest pretty much fall in line.

There are quite a few posts on this subject. Most probably under Agoraphobia.

Davit
Thanks everyone..
I am writing a journal everyday..that helps me go back and see things more clearly..
I did not mention my fears on here..so here are a few..
For some reason, i fear the dark,i have to have lights on at night,in the house somewere,i also leave a soft light on in my bedroom..ive done that for years..
I have a fear of hights..such as a roller coaster,outside elivators,rooftop buildings just being to high up..
I am closterphobic too
Being left all alone,mainly when iam some were unknown to me..
Fears of dying,,
Those are some..
Bren
13 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brenda,

I already replied to you in your original thread but to add to what I wrote you may want to search through the forums in find past discussions on waking up to anxiety.  There have been quite a few interesting discussions on this topic that you might find useful to read. Use the search feature to look for key words.

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brenda,

Welcome to the program and support group...

Waking up in a panic is very frightening..I do this too..

Working the program here has helped me a lot..I am not sure why but it has and the night terrors as I call them are a rare occurrence for me now..I have come here and posted many times when awakened in a panicked state just like you did and that in its self has helped me a lot...
I am glad you found your way here and post any time of the day or night..I do and it helps a lot..

Sid
Thank you Sunny!!!
It means so much to me,just to know iam not alone in this!
Yes, i do plan to read all the sessions and work them too..
Thanks again!
Brenda
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WELCOME Brenda:  You are in the right place.  Don't worry where you post your message - we'll find it.  Just keep posting as often as you want with any questions you may have (even if you think they may be silly - we all started at the beginning didn't we?)  I can vouch for this Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Program.  It works.  I used to have panic attacks and no longer have them.  I hope you start reading Sessions 1 and 2 as soon as possible.  You can work at your own pace here, no rush.  Go over sessions which interest you the most, no problem.  Doing the homework is very important too.

Personally, I find the relaxation and breathing exercises a very good start as coping techniques, which I practiced on a daily basis, morning and night.  For me it was difficult at first with all the anxiety I had to even know what relaxed felt like any more, but with practice, I got it.  And I use this method the most as soon as I feel a lot of stress or anxiety coming on.  It helps me to get centred again and slow down.

I did use an SSRI at one time for approx. 3 yrs. or so.  No problem.  Everyone is different of course and some people need their meds. tweaked as they start them.  You may have some side effects for the first couple of weeks, but they do go  away.  Some cannot take SSRI's, but docs. usually monitor you closely at the beginning, and answer any questions you may have and will know.  You can post here too with questions about it, always someone here listening and may have been through it too.  We can't offer advice here, but we can let you know what worked or didn't work for us.

It took awhile for you to get where you are, so have patience, you won't be better overnight, or a wknd.  With this program and the support we all offer here, I'm hoping you see light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheering for you - hope to hear from you again.

Sunny
I think i may have posted on the wrong area before???
But,anyway..i have been suffering anxiety and panic for many years,i cant seem to get a handle on them..i cant really say when they started?
I just know they were and still are so frightning to me....
Last night,it woke me out of a sound sleep,sometimes i jumo out of bed,iam so much in fear...
I found this site,and i hope it will be a good place to come and learn,talk,and overcome!

Brenda

Reading this thread: