Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

moving to new city

19 years ago 0 91 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've looked into finding a support group in my new city (Nashville). I've had no luck so far. I'm planning on seeing a psychiatrist as soon as we move so I can start out on the right track. My biggest fear is being alone. That's when I usually panic. I feel closed in and really, really alone (like I'm the only person left in the world). I call people, but sometimes, even that doesn't help. It just frightens whoever is on the other line. I've got to stop depending on my parents. They're getting older and it seemsto upset them a lot more than it used to when I call crying and distressed. I'm also scared of starting a new job. I've been at the same place for 10 years. I kind of got stuck in a rut. You know we panic people love our routines. That's why I'm almost glad we're moving. It's forcing me to deal with things I would have never dealt with otherwise. I'd have just stayed in my comfort zone forever. My other problem is I don't drive. I started having panic attacks while driving about 6 years ago. I have been completely not driving for about 2 years. This is going to pose a major problem in a new city and what kind of job I can get. Any suggestions on any of these issues?
19 years ago 0 799 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Katie, Chanda provided some excellent advice to help you cope with your upcoming move. As challenging as this move will be you can do it. Don't forget your family and friends are only a phonecall away. Your fellow site members are also here for you. Please lean on us for support while you are getting established in your new home. The adjustment may take some time but please don't forget that you are never alone on this site. Sounds like you still have a few days to prepare for this move. Please keep us posted and let us know how it is going. Have any fellow members had to move to a new city? Please share your experience and what did you find worked best for you? Casey _____________________________ The Panic Center Support Team
19 years ago 0 132 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Katie, I think maybe you should do as much research on this new city as possible. Find places that are going to be near you (stores etc)& maybe you can look for a support group in that area that deals with anxiety. Will you be working or going to school, where you can meet new people? If not, maybe classes at the gym would be good for you to just meet some locals. Also, volunteer work can be really good too. These are just a few thoughts. I have had to think about the same things since my husbands job might be moving us 4 hours from my home town & all my family in November. I know I'll be ok with my husband & kids but it is such a lonely feeling to think about him going to work, the kids going to school, & me there by myself ALL day not knowing anybody. I stay home so I know my kids & husband will meet new people but I will have to find things to do to keep myself occupied. Maybe I'll even go back to work.. who knows.? Anyway I hope all goes well! Chanda
19 years ago 0 91 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been dealing with panic disorder since I was about 8 years old. I'm 35 now. My husband and I will be moving to a new city 8 hours away from my family and friends (aka my support network). We're leaving at the end of July. Scared isn't even the word. I guess there is no word to describe how I'm feeling right now. My husband will be in grad school, so he'll be gone most of the day. I just left a job I've had for 10 years. I feel so lost. It's like I don't have an identity anymore. All I can think about is the first day he leaves for class and there I am in this huge city with my family so far away, panicking. My stomach turns flips every time I think about it. Anyone had a similar experience? Any advise on how to cope with the biggest change in my life in years?

Reading this thread: