Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Family Does Not Understand

19 years ago 0 364 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lisa, I think having your friend go with you will benefit two ways, 1) It will get you there 2) If the trip is successful and no panic, it might be your "ticket" back out of agoraphobia. If you dont go because b/f thinks bringing friend is silly, then you will be stuck in a rut for a longer period of time with the agoraphobia, and getting thru the exposure therapy. Blessings on your dear friend who is so supportive!!!
19 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lisa, Welcome to the site. You will find excellent support and advice from all our supporters online. You seem very intune with what you are experiencing. Please take our online Panic Test to the left of your screen. You may bring the results to your appointment, and this may better assess the situation. We also have a Panic Program, that has received rave reviews, and excellent feedback. It is very hard when your loved one "doesn't get it". They are also frustrated because they don't understand what is going on with you. Having your friend fly down with you is a wonderful step and help to you. Talk to your Dcotor and see what is recommended. You can do this! Take your time and post if you need us! Josie
19 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone! I'm so happy to have found this site! At least I know I'm not alone which helps tremendously! About 20 years ago, I flew to Florida & had a very bad experience, full blown breakdown, and had to fly back the next day. It was so traumatic and I was so tense for days afterward that I couldn't relax enough to pee. I ended up having to be catheterized even though physically there was nothing wrong with me. I just could not relax. After the catheter was removed, I worred that I might not be able to pee. The doctor said, "take Benadryl - you just need to relax". Well finally I did go and it was the most exciting moment of my life (sounds pathetic). Now I knew I could pee at home but outside of home was still a challenge. I discovered I could go at work so now there were 2 places I could pee - work and home. I was terrified to travel anywhere outside of a 15 mile radius of home. I labeled myself agoraphobic and that was the end of it. But I gradually started going more and more places and then eventually, about 2 years later, I had completely eliminated my fear of fear. (I have agoraphobia with SEVERE anticipatory anxiety.) I was able to fly to Florida about 8 times after that, by myself, and at one time had even laughed that "gee, all that time I thought I was agoraphobic but I'm not." Well....... I managed to "be over it" for about 18 years. I could travel anywhere. Road trips, train trips - whatever. But for some reason, about 2 years ago, I started having this anticipatory anxiety again over making a road trip 3 hours away. I ended up having a panic attack when I arrived at my destination and although I was able to get through it, it made my full-blown agoraphobia come back and have not been able to deal with it since. My fiance is going out West at the end of August to play in a national tournament - a dream we've been competing in for the last 6 years. He wants me to go with him but the trip to Vegas is a 6-hour flight (I live in New York) for one full week and can barely make a 2 hour car ride without all the anticipatory anxiety. Unfortunately, he does not understand this at all. He continuously tells me "it's not my problem" or "you're just being negative" or "just take a tranquilizer", etc. I have a very

Reading this thread: