Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

need to fly to west coast

19 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kathy, Thank you for your reply! That's very encouraging!!!! My fiance doesn't really understand the whole agoraphobia thing. He thinks I'm just nervous to fly but it's more than that. It's the flight plus what happens once I'm there, plus being so far from home, etc., and knowing that he really doesn't understand. How long was your flight? Were you OK once you got started? Were you OK once you got to your destination? I believe this trip from NY to Vegas is a 6 hour flight. and the flight they booked is non-stop. I worry that I'll have a panic attack and then there's nothing I can do about it and 6 hours seems too long. I don't even know if I can make it to the airport (which is about 1.5 hrs away, let along cope with a flight that long. Part of me wants to just not go but I fear that if I don't, then I'll feel worse about myself. I guess I have to rationalize that there are hospitals and other medical help out there should the need arise. Did the CD's help a lot? Did you have any anticipatory anxiety? (That's 75% of my problem). Any suggestions for that? Thanks, again, for replying! Lisa
19 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lisa, I am new to this site and also hate travelling......just the thought of airplane rides can send me into an attack. I live in Wisconsin and had to fly back to my homestate of Maine a couple of months ago and was in as much of a panic as you are now. I did manage to get through it. I purchased a cheap portable CD player and brought my favorite CD's to listen to so that I couldn't hear the plane's engines (a very disturbing sound to me) and I used Xanax. I also have a very supportive lifepartner and he had written me a little diary to read while on the journey. I wish you well and hope that you can make it through this. Good luck! kathy
19 years ago 0 132 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lisa, hi & welcome to the site. I don't really think I can offer any advice to you, because just the thought of an airplane ride gets me practicing my deep breathing exercises. I have made a lot of progress but I'm not to the plane rides yet. I'm just curious, do you take any meds for your anxiety? If I had to face something that anxiety provoking I would most definately have to have my Xanax. Xanax could be a huge help in your situation. My Dr perscribes them to people before plane rides even when they don't suffer from anxiety & panic. Feel free to ask any questions Chanda
19 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lisa, Thanks for sharing your story with us today. You will find that there is tons of support and encouragement on our site. Please feel free to check out of "Panic Program" found to the left of your screen. Included is also a program on "Exposure Therapy", that you might find helpful. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to post them here in the support group or e-mail us at support@paniccenter.net. Please take the time to read and post, the online support group is a very useful tool. Hope this helps, Josie
19 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, My name is Lisa & I'm new to this site. I guess I have agoraphobia and an intense anticipatory anxiety disorder. I had this once before many years ago and was unable to overcome it but it's been back for the last 2 years and getting worse. I just started receiving therapy for it but feel hopeless. I avoid travelling to more and more places for fear of whatever could happen and most of the time when the anticipatory anxiety kicks in, I can't get out of it. Although I have made progress with traveling over the last year, I haven't really travelled very far. My fiance is playing in a tournament on the west coast (I live in NY) and we need to fly there at the end of Aug. Instead of being excited, I'm panicky, light-headed, freaking out over a 6 hour flight, freaking out that something will happen while I'm there, etc., etc. Do any of you have any suggestions for making the trip more comfortable? Are there national support groups in case I need one there? Should I forget the whole idea of going? I know that not going is easier but then I feel worse. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I hate this.

Reading this thread: