Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Hello and Suggestions Welcome

19 years ago 0 132 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I take Zoloft & have been doing great but this just reinforces one of my fears. I am so afraid that my Zoloft will stop working. I guess thats what some refer to as "the poop out syndrome".? Anyway do you get any warning when Zoloft is pooping out & is there anything you can do to stop it? I don't want to be on meds forever, but I sure do want them to be working when I need them. Also I have Xanax but only on an as needed basis, but it has been a good combo for me. Thanks, Chanda
19 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lisa! Wow, deja vu! I too am an RN, was on Zoloft for about 8 years for anxiety, panic and depression. As with you, it worked so well for a while it was like a new life! Then slowly I started having attacks again, went up in dosage, never quit having those darn attacks tho. Finally I went off Zoloft this March. I was never on a benzo though, so I can't really relate to that. All I do know is this. After SLOWLY weaning off zoloft, (and I am sure you know to do that, if not for yourself, then for your patients) I am actually much better. Don't get me wrong, I still have panic attacks, but the intensity of them seems to be less severe than they were on zoloft. I don't know if getting off meds is an option for everyone. I decided to do it because I had some nasty side effects from Wellbutrin which is what the doc put me on to wean off zoloft and that, coupled with the nasty withdrawal from zoloft just put me in the mood of "NO MORE DRUGS" I too, am perimenopausal and wonder if that is part of the problem in my increased anxiety that made me go to the doc to try another med, and wonder if hormones have something to do with all of this anxiety in the first place. Now that I have started on the panic program here, I can see that there very well may be a pattern related to my panic attacks, at least in the last month I can see that there is. In fact, the stupid thing that I see now is how for years I have made my panic worse by falling into the cycle of thinking about panic which induces panic and goes on and on and on. I know that with time, I can unlearn this behavior, and no medication is going to unlearn it for me, since it wasn't a medication that made me learn it in the first place! Still often I wish I could go to the doctor and say 'give me something to stop this!' !!!! If you do find a miracle drug, let me know! LOL! In the meantime, just from my experience with the panic program and I am also at the same time reading the Weekes book "Peace from Nervous Suffering", I am starting to unlearn some of this panic inducing behavior that I have had... and remember, "wean sloooooooooowly off zoloft" if you do go off of it, if you need help, let me know cuz I know just how it feels! Good luck to you Lisa, Jane :)
19 years ago 0 799 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Lravn65 (Lisa)and welcome to the site. You make a very valid point, which as a fellow RN, I can totally relate to on a personal level. I think most of us in health care have done too much researching on our own at some point - no matter what the concern, issue or symptom. But it does help to keep us informed and responsible and demsonstrates to the doctors that as patients, we can be very proactive. Regarding your medication concerns, I am sure that other site members will be responding soon to share their own experiences of these medications. Please make sure though to also inform or discuss any concerns or alteration in dosages with your doctor or pharmacist. Please explore our site. You may find that some of the tools available here would be helpful for your upcoming appointment in July with your psychiatrist. Hope to hear from you soon, Casey _____________________________ The Panic Center Support Team
19 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone, I need some advice from anyone who has had experience with Zoloft. I have a longstanding history of anxiety coupled with depression. My last bout with panic attacks was thankfully 17 years ago. At that time my doctor set me up with a very good therapist and a psychiatrist who ordered xanax. I did quite well. About 4 years ago I just wasn't feeling myself, just blah, so my doctor put me on zoloft 50mg daily and after about 3 months I felt like a new person. I relapsed just recently with having horrible panic attacks. I am convinced that I am going through perimenopause, because the panic is worse at certain times of the month. In any event, my doctor has tried to increase my zoloft which has made the panic worse (I did have to go back down to my original dose) and has added xanax .5mg three times a day. I cannot tolerate the .5mg so I take half. I have a consult in July with a psychiatrist, but I guess my question is... Does anyone out there think that a different combination would be better, since my hormones are different than they were 17 years ago? Have I just gotten used to the zoloft and it is no longer effective? I am an RN and at times think that I research too much, however I do feel deep down that I need a different combo. Thanks! Lisa

Reading this thread: