Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,523 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7

Exposure question

14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Colleen 

In your case exposure is not going places, it's staying home. Here lies the problem. To do exposure you have to know what is causing the problem. In your case I'm going to guess that you don't like it when your Hubby goes to work and leaves you at home. So exposure would be facing this fact. One way to do it is write down why this bothers you. And then question why this bothers you. Now of course if there is some other reason why you don't want to be alone then you have to find out what it is so you can expose yourself to it. It's all about facing it and realizing there is no reason for it. The more you can do this the easier it gets. Your going to have to fight it cause your mind is going to try to keep you from facing it. Alot of people don't like deing alone so they play music all day. (me) or they have pets that need care (me) or T.V. (not me, I don't like the comercials) You are tiring yourself out triing to not face the problem. Write down how you feel all day so you can find why you don't like to be alone. If I'm out to lunch on this then ignore this post.      Again exposure is facing the problem a little at a time till you can face it full on. Eq. Being alone a little more each day.  I hope this helps, if not keep questioning. Maybe I got it wrong.

Davit.
14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Colleen,

Exposure would help you.  Have you begun working through the program? The section on Exposure work can still be applied to your situation.  Instead of going places your exposure would be staying alone.  

Feeling tired after anxiety could be due to your body being in a state of stress for such a long period of time. When the anxiety eventually does wear down your body is exhausted. Anxiety can be a big strain on the body.

Be sure to do the relaxation auxiliary section in the program. Try relaxation techniques throughout the day.  Especially before bed.  When you feel anxious box breathing will really help to relax your body. 

Have you ever discussed your anxiety with your doctor? 

Members, have you done any exposure work? What was your experiences?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
that didnt answer my question. i am not afraid to go places and i do go places, it make me feel better.
14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Colleen,

Yes exposure work will help you! Take the time to work through it slowly and see the difference it make everyday.  It will help to take it day by day and really concentrate. You can progress to doing outside activities and occupying yourself and feeling good about yourself.

Let us know how you a re coming along!

Josie, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, i have a question. For about a week or so I have been waking up with anxiety/panicky feeling.
my hubby works out of town and I am alone all week, i'm not working.
I try to think of something to do so i can leave the house, seems i feel better anywhere but here.
when the anxiety wears down around noon, I feel very tired ALL day and foggy in the head.
anyway, i am getting nervous to stay alone now. my mom stayed last nite and my son stayed tonite but
i cant keep that up.
would exposure work for me be to make myself stay home when i feel like leaving AND to stay alone even if
i dont like it? I just hate being alone with the anxiety.

Reading this thread: