Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

No more counselor

6 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is really a tough situation and if I am your shoe, I don't know how to get through it. You are a brave one.
7 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi TotallyMe,

This is certainly a tough situation. It is completely understandable that you would be apprehensive about starting with a new counsellor.  It sounds like you have a few options, you could start with the new therapist and see how it goes. Or you can wait for your current therapist to be well enough to continue counselling. Or you can do a mix of the two and see a new therapist with the intention of returning to the old therapist once she returns. There are pros and cons to each of these options. Do you think writing down a list of pros and cons for each option might be helpful? Sometimes when we put our thoughts down on paper or choices become easier to make.  What do you think?

Ashley, Health Educator
7 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been going to a therapist for about 4 months and she has helped me a lot with my anxiety and panic attacks, especially when I switched jobs. She was doing EMDR with me, we only had 4 sessions and they were the hardest thing I had to deal with, she told me that because of how EMDR woaks I might wear all my feeling really close to the surface and feel like I have more anxiety as she keeps working with Mr but that with each session I'll feel better and better....well 3 weeks ago she got sick and had to cancel sessions until she felt better. Apparently she is getting worse and now is on medical leave for what she thinks is going to be months. 
The office where she works offered me to place me with another Counselor but I'm not sure what to do. It always takes a while for me to get comfortable with a therapist and I was finally comfortable enough to do EMDR and now I feel lost. I don't know if I should go ahead and start seeing another therapist or just wait until my current one gets better. I do still struggle a lot with anxiety and depression and panic attacks. I just feel so anxious just thinking about having to restart with another therapist.

Reading this thread: