Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Panic

9 years ago 0 169 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Ashley. It was truly hard journey but I did it. I think I've at cure where cure is. I understand I'll have anxiety some times but I think I can manage it. So far, I've been accepting and thinking of other things....like distracting but still acknowleding why I felt the way I felt.

I've been desensitzing myself...slowly but it worked...and I don't give it much power anymore. It helps TO KNOW YOU'VE COME OUT THE OTHER END OKAY
10 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great work Cara!

I replied  to another thread you created around a similar topic so I don't have too  much to add. I just want to say how  inspiring it is to watch your journey here. You are clearly learning and growing a lot. We all know how scary and hard fighting anxiety is and you are doing it! Great work! I hope you spend some time to reward yourself this weekend and be present to all your hard work. You are a strong woman Cara.

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cara

I find that something will start to pick at my brain even after years of knowing how to avoid it. It is kind of like walking on ice. A sort of vigilance that is constant. Often I can't even figure out why, just that it is there. It is really annoying but like you say it is something you can live with. I still after all these years try to block it and I know that just makes it last longer. I've only had the one panic attack in the last few years and I might have been able to prevent it. It happened, it is over, on with life. Pisses me off because it spoilt a good record, not because it was scary. It was scary, they always were.
The biggest thing is that by accepting this I don't worry if there will be another because the chances really are slim. And it has got better so that I can enjoy life again without this hanging over my head. I think with the right attitude we can only get better and I think we are going to prove that. And I say that because every success you have shows I'm doing the right thing. I know it is right but believing it is harder.

Davit
10 years ago 0 169 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Davit. I knew I was going to have a panic attack as I was thinking and worrying about it all day. Then it happened. I think I was disappointed because I haven't had one in a long time. 

The only thing that I learnt from it was.... This was the panic attack? That was it? I can do that. I can cope with it.

I think the only reason I'm not 100% better is because I want to believe it will go away completely 100% and I'll recover. But now I think this panic will be with me for ever.... My first panic attack was in 2001, my next in 2007 and then 2013 till now. This last one stayed long because I became worried about what was happening to me.... And had anxiety over anxiety. 

I'm going to try accepting it as part of my life, more like hiccups if I get it, I get it and I'll wait for it to pass or drink water till it does. I don't get them often but I do get them.

Hopefully this helps. After this panic attack, it helped me prove that anxiety is just fear brought on myself. Change my thinking Patterns, distract or challenge. These work. 

Reading this thread: