Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Anyone try Alpha Stim? Non medicine alternatives...

5 years ago (Edited 5 years ago) 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Welcome JustDiana,

I am so sorry to read how you have been struggling. It sounds so frustrating that nothing seems to be working and that the side effects are so harsh. I am impressed that you are still looking for supports despite all the difficulty you have faced. You are strong!

I have not heard anything about Cranial Electrotherapy for anxiety. When you meet with your psychiatrist this would be important to discuss with them. Waiting for months does seem like a long time but it is amazing that you are taking the steps required to meet with one. I think that in itself is really promising.

You had mentioned that you have tried therapy but there are lots of different types of therapy. It's important to work with a skilled counselor that is a good fit for you that uses treatments that are right for you. Have you tried Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)? CBT is seen as the most evidence based treatment. Even if you have tried CBT with a therapist I still encourage you to work on the program. The depression program will also be very helpful for you. It is self guided and does not take a huge time commitment so while you are waiting I think it would be a good idea to work on. Keep us updated if you have any thoughts or questions.

I hope some members here can add something about Electrotherapy.

Ashley, Health Educator

5 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi, I'm new to here and was looking for some feedback on non medicine treatments or coping methods for anxiety and panic.

I have had issues since childhood and I swear I have tried everything I have come across to help but I am now coping with the WORST anxiety and panic I have ever had. Somehow I don't suffer from depression but I will admit to having dark moments. Those dark moments are happening more frequently because I feel like I am running out of options - and medical professionals I deal with don't seem to get the urgency of the situation.

Over the many years my general doc has had me on 11 different medications but unfortunately I seem to be one of those people who experience all the nasty side effects in full force. I have to currently take Gravol and Immodium everyday to stomach what I am currently on and they still only somewhat helps with the side effects. My doc said "I have run out of ideas and you are more of a complicated case than I thought" so he has referred me to a psychiatrist. Problem is - I don't want to put myself through more years of being a guinea pig! Also I called back a month later and he had forgotten to get me a referral. Called again two weeks later and still forgot. Gee, thanks. The medical assistant said it could be months before I see the shrink too. After hearing this, I had a very dark 72 hours.

Right now, I am hunched over with stomach cramps, I have gone to poop 8 times already this morning and I have only been up for 3.5 hours! It's only Paxil for the love of all that is holy! So now I have noticed the side effects will actually trigger anxiety and/or panic attacks in me. So messed up.

I have done the mindfulness training, I am a mediation queen, I take "me time" often, I have done therapy, I have literally read 19 self help books this year. I eat right, work out, don't drink caffeine, in a healthy stable relationship, I have completely changed careers to try and help ease this, worked from home, for myself, and now Im back being an employee at a wonderful place, with great people and cool work. I know others have it worse than myself and I feel very fortunate. So why do I physically fear like I am in danger all the effing time?!

Anyway, enough with the ranting. In my desperation, I started researching treatment alternatives and came across some research on Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation and one product Alpha-Stim in particular. I live in Manitoba, Canada and I highly doubt this would be covered by anything but the medical research looks promising and the reviews seem good. I was wondering if anyone on here has tried it? I don't want to plunk down 1200 bucks on something that is sketchy. I honestly don't feel like I could handle yet another disappointment in my treatment right now.

Reading this thread: