Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

grief

11 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Annabel123,

Grief and sorrow are hard to bear. I found some good books over the years and found it helpful to read about grief and other people's writing about their grief over someone close to them dying. I think the main theme of those books was that this is an emotional process that has its own timeline and the people worked to accept where ever they were at that day, even that hour, or moment to moment. 

I agree with Matt, if you reach out, you might be able to connect with someone who has processed grief in their life and they may be able to be there for you in some way right now. I would just add that if you are with people who invalidate your grief, it can be the opposite of helpful. Not everyone is comfortable with grief or have skills to be comforting. 

My understanding or perspective on grief is that it is not a negative emotion (the way anger is) but it can get labelled as such because it hurts so bad, and because other people might want you to "perk up" i.e. do not understand / accept your grieving process. It relates to our connections and attachments we had with what we lost. As we go through grief, we gain wisdom and experience that someone else might need from us at some point in the future.

Have you tried any exercises to give your grief a voice? There is a lot written about how drawing , journaling, making art or doing something to give form to your grief, even if no one sees it but you. 

11 years ago 0 218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi annabel23,
I'm sorry to hear you have been having a tough time lately as you deal with the loss of your mother. Everyone goes through it differently and I cannot say that I know exactly what you are going through. I can recommend a few strategies from our program here on the site.

Grief is known to subside overtime and there are a few strategies you can use to help move from having that "helpless" or "stuck" feeling. One thing you can try (though tough at this time), is to utilize your social network around you. Whether colleagues at work, friends, or other family members, contact and social experiences can help. See more in auxiliary session 16 in the panic center to learn more of this. You can also try to do some coping with grief homework. Though this can be tough, you can try the steps found in the same session in the program, and hopefully you can find ways to cope with this loss.

Let us know how it goes, and if you have any questions as you try those strategies and learn more about dealing with a loss. Keep checking in

11 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
having a hard x dealing with the loss of my mom. I lost her in November and she was the love of my life. I have other anxieties, elevators and getting lost while driving. They seem to be getting worse too because I am an orphan motherless and fatherless. My grieving from my loss is horrible, i'm in denial

Reading this thread: