Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Cognitive Exposure

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.751 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,576 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RREYES, TBACARO, RMUEGA, LARISTOTELES, DeeTart

Facing fear head on

12 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi MaryLouise,

Sounds like a good plan. What do you hope to get out of the situation? What will you have to do or be open to to gain what you want from this lunch?

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello
I was intrigued by the title "facing fear head on". I have depression, anxiety and OCD. I have not been to my place of employment for 17 months. When I left 17 months ago, I was quickly sliding into a collapse. So I think of work as a hostile place, unsupportive coworkers, terrible clientelle etc. etc.

However I am going to work this Friday, to meet a few people for lunch. I want to meet up with supportive people yet my fear is some co workers may treat me hostile, or I may be asked questions about my reason for being off.

The worst thing would be seeing the 2 supervisors on Friday, or someone being unkind. If that happened I will just walk away from the person.The likeliehood of anything happening is probably slim. On positive side I will see supportive people again. I can at the very least reduce some of my fears.

what do you think?

MaryLouise

12 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thanks for responding well i went to the new apartment and stayed for about 4 to 5 hours, and verged panicking twice.  i ended up leaving and coming back to my safe zone.  i figured i would feel better if i came back to my safe zone considering i did at least face it and went through my fear for a while.  like you do in exposure, however, now that im back here i feel like a failure for coming back instead of feeling great for what i did accomplish.  in which stinks.  i have been working on the program and doing the homework already, but this came much quicker than expected.  i just want these thoughts to go away and i want to go home with my family without feeling sensations that turn my mind into fearful thoughts that make me feel like im losing control of myself :(/8
12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello darkfairy458,

Thank you for sharing this with us, I wish you all the best in your new endeavour. I often recommend using the following questions for challenging negative thoughts/situations. I hope this helps. I would also recommend working through the online program, there are sessions on exposure and worry. Check it out!

10 Questions that Help Fight Anxious Thoughts
1.   Is it "true"?
2.   How do I know it’s true?
3.   Is the anxious thought 100% true? (Something less than 100% true is not true)
4.   What's the evidence for it being true?
5.   What's the evidence against it being true?
6.   Has it ever happened before?
7.   What's different now?
8.   How bad would it really be?
9.   What's the worst thing that could happen?
10. If the worst thing happened, how bad would it really be? 

Samantha, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ok so i have had a apartment for the past week and my husband and 2 of my children have moved into it and well im still at the old house in my safe zone with my safe person, who i despise btw.  she treats me like crap but yet im still hooked to her and panic when im away from her.  Needless to say I dont feel that safety net with my husband.  But I have to go to my new apartment in the morning and break my cycle from this place and from her, im a nervous wreck, Im scared half to death so i feel.  I have stayed with my husband before for up to 4 hours without her, with anxiety on verge of panicking.  but this time i have to stay.....period.  If I need my safe person she will not be my there. Is there any advice anyone could give me on facing this head on.  Im really terrified like at 90 on the fear chart and  my therapist said this is what i have to do, so im being forced to do it.  I cant sleep tonight, cause i know when i wake up i must take the trip.  Has anyone ever faced moving head on and came out on top.  How long would it take if I constantly face it to no longer fear it?  Any advice would be great!

Reading this thread: