Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Going Back to Work Soon

21 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Diane, Thank you for your last post. I went to work today and it felt great. I was a bit nervous but it went well. I spent the day deleting my 385 emails and organizing my desk to only be handed a unresolved file full of to do. It feels good to have something to do. Your words did help. It is always nice to have a sound word to help challenge my thoughts. Thank you Michelle
21 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Michelle I don't know if this will help, but remember when I told you I got a job? Well I was out of the work force for 14 years, so I know how it feels. Not only was I scared about going to a new job after all those years, but also having to drive there. It's been 2 weeks and I don't have stomach problems anymore. Tonight I'm nervous because I'm going to be taking our new car to work. I quess what I'm saying is after the first week of doing it all I'm a lot calmer than before. Now after 2 weeks I am feeling better.I find the more I do it the easier it seems to be. So I know you will do fine. It will take a few days ,but then you will feel better. Let me know how it goes, I know you'll do great. Diane :)
Dear Marianne, Hi! Thank you for empowering me to keep me going. I am glad all of us have this web-family to turn to when the going gets rough. I will keep your bit of inspiration burning. Take care. GOD BLESS U. MWAAH! Cherry :)
21 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi! CONGRATULATIONS! Well done you! I'm sure Monday will be a lot easier, the first day is always the worst! Have a great weekend! Marianne
Hi guys! I hope all of you are doing well. Thought I might share something with you - I just have to take this off my chest before I go to sleep. It's been a hard day for me today, my first day in being back to the corporate mainstream after 5 years of being off-work because of panic attacks. My feelings is ambivalent: glad to be back to work because of some financial constraints yet I felt so uncomfortable it's like threading in the unknown. From the time I left my house, up to the time I have to go home again, I was bombarded by awful thoughts: WHAT IF...i have panic attack in front of this people (the company that hired me is people oriented, and so you will see so much rushing, hurried talking- and it caused my internal alarm to turn on)...WHAT IF..i make a mistake like an idiot... WHAT IF...i get stuck in the traffic... I just wanted to pull the time to come to its close. Many times in the day, I felt like walking out of it and just go home. What is in between is just a hairline! From time to time I would do deep breathing to relax me. Amazingly, I am back to my comfort zone. And I have 2 days to relax. I will need your strength to make it through again on Monday til the rest of the week. Breathe in me please. LOVING YOU ALL. CHERRY :8o:
Beth, I am glad that you had a good day at work. I am sure being busy is the key. Michelle
21 years ago 0 75 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Michelle, I think you're going to be fine, you have a terrific attitude, and are doing as much as possible to prepare for it! I went back to work today, and it was fine. It felt good to be busy again, and to be doing "normal" activities, rather than brooding at home. Good luck, and keep me posted! Beth
Beth, Thank you for responding and I too will be thinking of you. I am sure that you will do just fine. I know that I am almost ready but not quite. I still have a bit a trouble in public. I do however; continue to go out every day just because I know eventually that I will begin to feel comfortable again. I am now trying to set up a routine prior to going back. I get early just like I would if going back to work and now I am going to try to do the Yoga earlier and some meditation. My boyfriend of 4 years also works for the same company which may be a blessing. I am going to have him take me into the office next weekend and get myself comfortable. We moved while I have been off. I think that if I have a chance to go in before I begin it may make me feel a bit more at ease. At this point I don't even know where my desk is. But staying positive all will be ok. I think it probably will be good to go back, as this will cause a distraction from so much focus on how I do feel.
21 years ago 0 75 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Me Too!! I go back to work tomorrow, after 2 months off (I work at a school). I didn't work this summer, b/c i took some classes, and devoted my spare time to healing, from this stupid disorder. I felt a little panicky tonight, just at the thought of having a schedule and structure again. I'm going to be ok, and i know it, but i'm afraid that i'll be panicky in the morning, and wont' be able to make it. I'll be thinking of you michelle! Beth
I have been off of work for almost 6 weeks by the time I have to go back to work. I am quite nervious as I still have some panic attacks. I am hoping that all will be well. Has anyone had time off for stress leave and then had to return. Any suggestions on coping? Thanks, Michelle

Reading this thread: