Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Loss of internal direction

6 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am not understanding its connection to anxiety. Ppl with anxiety are not on a search in the future but more afraid of the future because of uncertainty. Originally I was discussing the progress ive made largely in due to avoiding over intellectualizing anxiety which youve done. When you do, you inevitable perpetuate its permanence because youve attributed it to your identity and internalized it. I firmly believe anxiety is curable no matter how severe. It is simply a misfiring of normal biological processes. This tangent about addictions fails to convince me otherwise. 
6 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Although I don't have an addiction, a book about addiction described a similar pattern addicts have to addiction. The similarity is that the present is never good enough, and there is always a search for something which is future oriented. Planning is fine, but this search dismisses the present, and has the consequences of losing the wonder of relationships, joy and all our senses connected to being in the present. It's also contrary to the idea of mindfulness, which attempts to integrate non-judgemental views around life, among other things. To continually dismiss the present and look to the future(or the past as in rumination), is a judgement of the present and self, as unworthy in some way...
The answer is there is no answer.
As soon  as we can accept that, you break the cycle. As long as youre searching for an answer(s), anxiety perpetuates.
6 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was just lying in bed sleeping one day and it just happened...I'm not sure anyone has the "answer". Lucky we have a toolbox.
Hey! Thank you for your reply.

Ive been feeling so much better since my last post to the point that I have days where I am completely anxiety (derealization) free. Youre totally right. From 25 panic attacks a day to one every few days now. I finally went to the mall and shopped for clothes. I completely avoided the mall for over a year. Just want anyone who is going through the same thing - if I can do it (without medications), anyone can.
6 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey there!

I've had that feeling even when "resting" (as if people with GAD rested at all :P)
I think it might be close to what derealization feels like. I've got it chronic since my panic attacks started and I sometimes feel like my surroundings are unreal too, as if I was living in a dream.

But again, it's all due to anxiety. And I've realised that the more you pay attention to it, the longer it stays with you.

Stay strong! :)
Hey guys.

This is open to all but does anyone feel like their environment appears flat or dimensionless during or preceding a panic? Though I turn left, right, up or down - it feels like im not turning. I cant even verbalize the feeling really. It's like my brain has no center of compass.

Meh. (<--My new favourite word when anxiety wants to escalate. It's equivalent to yawning when a guy(or girl) across the room is noticing you. Kills their momentum instantly lol)

Reading this thread: