Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

New To The Program

9 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Razor,

Thanks for telling us a bit about yourself. Have you had a chance to check out the program yet? Any questions so far?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome razor

Agoraphobia is a fear of not having control which manifests itself as a fear of the outdoors mostly. Almost all fears and phobias are subs of Agoraphobia because the fear behind them is a fear of not having control of the situation. Even claustrophobia. 
Panic attacks happen when some external or internal situation overrides our natural ability to look at it reasonably and make a decision. 
Riding a bus you have no control other than that it is your decision to be there. Car, train, subway, boat or plane, they are all the same. A fear of bridges and heights too.
What control boils down to is the difference between having to and wanting to. "Wanting to" gives you back control.
"Having to" sends your mind racing through all the reasons you don't want to. Or can't. And none of those reasons are realistic. They just seem so. But they create fear.
For those of us who use "want to" it works. It take repetition to get it to override "have to". A "want to" mantra at first works as a distraction to keep your mind on what you are doing and keep control with you. And "I won" is the reward for your first success even if it is partial or small. Avoid any mantras or thoughts that have any relationship to "have to" and you can do this. You can be in control and actually enjoy this. Besides you have a reason and a goal.
"have to" only works for little grey mice who have a fear of letting someone down. You don't want to go through life living it based on fear. Leave that to the little grey mice. Live life because you want to and there is so much of it to want.

Davit
9 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello,

Where to start. I had my one and only panic attack in the 90s while riding the train home from work yet to this day I still have a fear of being too far away from home. I only recently started to talk about it because I met this wonderful woman who lived 1 1/2hrs away from me and because I couldn't drive to see her, our relationship has ended. 

I can't travel. I can't ride the subway. I'm missing out on so much and losing her was the final straw. 

Now, I have come to realize that my life will never be normal again but with the help of better understanding agoraphobia and the symptoms pertaining to this illness, one day soon I will surprise her at her doorstep. :)

Has any one done hypnotherapy?

Is any one taking Pristiq? My doctor said I should take it but I'm not much of a pill popper so I have some reservations about the side effects.

Thanks for hearing me out - any help or advice would be much appreciated.

R

Reading this thread: