Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,667 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

Permanent pressure on throat

12 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for your post! :-)

I have been to another physician today and he told me the same as the first: Everything is alright with my larynx, tongue and throat. And as I have told him a bit about my "history" (thyroid and stomach without findings, but a lot of stress and panic attacks), he said the same as sunny123 has written: In his opinion it seems that this is a typical globus feeling caused by stress and hardening of the neck muscles. He has told me to relax, relax and relax!!!! and to get some massages to relax my neck and shoulder muscles. It was good to hear that nothing is wrong with my throat... but on the other hand this feeling is still driving me crazy so I really really hope that relaxing and less stress will help to get rid of it.

@sunny123: I have practice PMR but as you have already written: I think I am the kind of person practicing a lot when I am stressed but "forget" to practice when I am feeling good. I think I will take your advice to do it twice a day... every day!!! ;-)

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Since you've done Yoga, which is similar to many other relaxation systems, Vincenza's advice to seek a second physician's opinion is important.

12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Rednixa:  Welcome to the site.  I had that kind of throat pressure when I was having my panic symptoms. When my throat tightened I knew I was stressed.  It was a signal from my body letting me know.  If this is what it is for you, nothing to worry about.  It will go away as you learn to relax.  Have you practiced the progressive muscle relaxation - or the visualizations?  It might take you a bit of time to learn but don't give up on it.  I practiced it morning and evening.  It only took 10 minutes or so each time.  These techniques have been the most helpful for me and I hope you give it a good try.  These exercises greatly help a person to be relaxed all day that is why you use them first thing in the morning - a great start to the day.  Sometimes people use these exercises only when they are anxious and wonder why it doesn't miraculously erase the tensions in their body right away.  When you get very good at it, yes, it can work exactly like that, but you need to practice it on a regular basis to get to that point.  Think of it like yoga.  It is something to be practiced as a training for the body.  If you haven't tried it yet, I hope you do. 
p.s. I am panic free now.
Sunny 
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rednixa,
Your english is great!
I'd make sure that you see another physician.
I used to feel my throat was tighter, so when I'd rush through eating, I'd vomit.  This happened at work at number of times, where my stress was greatest.  Eventually I had to leave work, and get regular help.
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi rednixa

Even if there is no physical reason for the pressure if there is swelling (inflamation) there is a spray that will take care of it. It is cortisone and called Fluticosone. This pressure can also be caused by Arthritis in the upper spine causing you to bend your neck.
But it is also a side effect of anxiety. You are not alone in this feeling.
If it is anxiety then one of the Benzo's will get rid of it and you will know what it is. 
I'm not saying to rush out and get some valium, just that it would tell you what it is. If it is then CBT is a better long run answer.

Welcome to the site.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rednixa, 
First of all, your English is great. Thank you for writing us to look for support.  I know other members could better speak to their physical symptoms related to episodes of anxiety and panic attacks, but it sounds like the feeling of pressure on your throat could be connected with symptoms of panic attacks. 

One thing you could try to help figure out what that feeling may be related to is to use the 'Mood Tracker' tool from the Panic Center site's Toolbox.  Write each time you have the sensation of pressure on your throat and record if you have any symptoms related to panic attacks whether mental or physical.  Hopefully this will help reveal any patterns to when you feel this sensation.

It may also help to see a different doctor to get a second opinion to alleviate any anxiety you may have associated with this unpleasant feeling. 
Hope you are feeling better today!  Keep us posted.

Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, and sorry in advance for my English cause I’m German.

I have panic attacks since January this year and have started a therapy in May. At the moment I am able to deal with symptoms like a racing heart or pain in my stomach because I know that they don’t have an organic cause but are a sign of anxiety or stress.

But for some days there is something new which really concerns me: I have a permanent pressure on my throat like someone is pushing on my larynx. It’s not that I have problems to breath or have pain when I gulp, but gulping is a bit unpleasant. I had this feeling once before some months ago. Then I went to a doc because I was concerned about having something like larynx cancer, but he hasn’t found anything. And like a “wonder” the feeling vanished on the next day. But now it is there for days and though I’m trying to say to myself that everything is alright with me it doesn’t vanish.

Does anyone of you know this feeling? Or do you maybe have some tips how I can get rid of it? (I was already trying to relax with yoga and breathing, but it doesn’t help.)

rednixa

Reading this thread: