Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Agoraphobia after witnessing crime

13 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you so much for all of your advice. It was really helpful and appreciated since I am so far from home. I am still a bit jumpy, anxious and probably overly sensitive - but I'm making sure I challenge my anxious thoughts rather than withdraw. 
Thanks again :)
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bvt66bvt

All my life I have had jobs where mother nature would quickly kill me if I wasn't careful so I learned to be observant and careful and never push my luck. Most people never have to do this. The percentage of people mugged in a big city is relatively small compared to the number of people. TV drama makes it look worse. You were in the wrong place at the wrong time. It might never happen again, but if it does you can lessen the odds by being overly observant of your surroundings. Make sure you have an escape route. And don't do anything that would attract the wrong type of person. Try not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. This may take some of the fun out of travelling, but if you are going to travel alone I think it is necessary.
Are personal protection devices legal where you travel. Screamers, sprays, cattle prod. (it comes in hand held and gives quite a jolt.) But the best is still to stay close to a small crowd of people you trust some what. Don't be at the wrong place at the wrong time.
The other option is not to travel alone.

Here for you,
Davit.
13 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sunny, you give really great advice.
Bvt66bvt,  No matter where you are in the world, we are here to help you!
 Are there any locals you have met that you can go out with?  It is always great to be in company that
know the area well, and can show you the fun and safe parts of the city...
Vincenza, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello bvt66bvt:  Welcome to the site.  I don't think I've seen you post here before.  Sorry for what you are going through.
I think anyone would be shaken up after witnessing this and I think it's perfectly logical for you to feel nervous to go out again alone.  One does have to be careful when out and about, especially if you're female.  I don't know if you are.

I'm not really sure what you can do except maybe ask yourself some questions.  You mention that you like to travel alone.  Has this ever happened before during one of your trips?  If not, then it shows that it doesn't happen all the time.  One does want to be safe.  Have you ever taken self defence courses?  It might make you feel a little better prepared for travelling alone.  In this CBT program there is a "10-questions" to ask yourself about the event or thing which makes you nervous.  Try reading this through and see if you can apply it to this event.  In the meantime, a nice hot bath, some relaxing music, something to soothe you might help.
Thank goodness the man was o.k. and the thief was caught by the police.  This is all good, a positive, so try and think of the positive outcome of it rather than the negative aspect.

Just some ideas.

Sunny
13 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am pretty shaken up, I'd really appreciate your advice. 

I am on holiday on my own in a new city and witnessed a mugging. It happened in the middle of the day in a ritzy area with lots of people around. I think the man who was robbed will be okay and the thief was caught by the police. 

This was upsetting, but I was much more upset than the event warranted. I wanted to get to my hotel room as fast as possible and couldn't help crying. 

How do I witness a random act of violence and not lose trust in my own safety? What can I do to recover from that so that it doesn't overshadow my whole day or holiday. I don't want to hide in my hotel room and I don't want to stop travelling alone. 

Any advice on things I can do to help me get over this would really help. 

Thank you so much

Reading this thread: