Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,654 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Julia725, RFULLERO, OJOIZA ALTHEA, PKENNETH LANCE, JSABAS

Medication for panic attacks

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Arteest, Welcome to the Panic Center! How are you doing? LilJamieson, Be sure to ask your pharmacist plenty of questions when you go to pick up your meds. May not seem so scary if you know what to expect in terms of side effects. Danielle _______________________ The PC Support Team
17 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have just been prescribed meds for my "panic" attacks. Atenolol and Fluoxedine. Havent taken it yet. Still need to grab it ... Has anyone been on these? See Im still in that train of thought that its something else then a panic attack. Although it all fits.! And Im so scared to be on meds....yet another worry ! *sighs* Just thought I would ask around .... get some imput.
17 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya arteest! I am glad you found this site it is an waesome site! I just wanted to say welcome to the forums and as you can see you are not alone! -Diva
17 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all. New to the post. Just been officially diagnosed with panic attacks. Been battling it for twenty years on my own and was just plain old worn out from it. At my sister's urging, I finally got some medical help. My doc decided to try me on Lexapro, and I've been taking it for nearly two weeks now. (I know it's still too early to draw any conclusions...) Other than a bit of nausea, not much else to report (luckily). I've noticed my mind doesn't race as much as it did and the dwelling has decreased a bit already. I noticed a tendancy to tire out fairly quickly though. I have read quite a bit on this site, and am going to continue the 12 week program. It's just nice to know that I'm not the only one out there that feels "out of square".
17 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all. Really true that if I make the decision it should be at a low point! That is the only time when I consider taking anything. It is good to hear that others are going it "alone". Sometimes I doubt myself and wonder if I should just take the meds as maybe that would make my life easier but somehow I just do not feel happy about it. Thanks and good luck to everyone with or without meds!
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Moochela, You've gotten some great responses from your fellow members. In general, medications are used to help control anxiety or panic that causes a significant level of interference in that individual's life. Some members have found it helpful as it allowed them to start doing some of the challenging CBT work. Just as you've seen on the forums, some members opt not to take medication and find aid in controlling their anxiety from the CBT program alone. Just as your fellow members have said, it is a personal decision everyone has to make. Bottom line: you should do what is best for you. If you would like more information on what options may be available to you, consult your doctor. Danielle ________________________ The PC Support Team
17 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was like you and really did not want to take meds. I pushed myself so hard to try and prove I would be okay. In the end, I decided to take the meds because I could not get over the hurtle. It was really hard. If you do decide on the meds remember that the side effects are horrible the first few days (or can be) so stick it out enough to see if they were actually helpful. Ri
17 years ago 0 21 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have decided not to go down the drug road either. Not that its right or wrong its just a personal decision. I have read so many different opinions both for and against - I have read some statistics saying that CBT without drugs can be as effective as CBT with drugs and certainly more so than drugs alone. Sometimes when I have a tough few days I think about drugs, but always decide against. As Diva says it's your choice but if I can offer some advice is don't make the decision when you are at a low point because this will cloud your judgement. If you decide that drugs are for you make sure you get ALL the information from your doctor and don't just accept what they say - it is your body after all! Hope this helps. Andy.
17 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am taking it atm. I have not always taken it. Right now it seems to help. I think tho that it is up to you to decide if you want medication or not and what kind of medication you are feeling ok with. -Diva
17 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have never taken anything for my anxiety or panic attacks.... I notice a lot of people on here are on some form or other of medication. I have been prescribed medication in the past but have always felt very uncomfortable taking it as I feel it takes away my power to deal with the problem. I can see how it might help but quite a few people do not seem to be able to come off without recurring symptoms. What do people generally feel about taking medication? Do you think it is better or do you think trying to deal with it yourself is a good course of action? I am not trying to be judgemental but am simply curious and sometimes I wonder if I should try medication myself!

Reading this thread: