Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,652 Members

Please welcome our newest members: OJOIZA ALTHEA, PKENNETH LANCE, JSABAS, ASHAINE, EFAJARDO

Child with anxiety

18 years ago 0 295 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks vickers and debbie its hard to know what the best thing is to do cause of my own battles with anxiety i know what a comfort it is to have that safe person (for him its me) around its just a comfort to know they are there he has been like this for a long time but as hes gone off to preschool its gotten much worse and i hate to send him now(guilt kicked in)but i know he has to go he starts school next year so he needs to prepare for that.so thanks for the input guys i appreciate it. Lulu..
18 years ago 0 444 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lulu, My son does not have my terrible anxiety {thank God} but he does worry very very much about hurricanes and storms, I am glad he takes after my husband in that department. Did your little one start school lately? that could bring on anxiety, it seems like at that age they are leaving the toddler stages and moving up, I will pray that your little one's anxiety ceases. With my son I try to distract him with something else and sometimes it works, at that age I think all kids are a bit anxious they have all that energy and get-up-go! I hope you are doing good. Let me know. God bless, Debbie.
18 years ago 0 222 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't have a child with anxiety but I had anxiety as a child. The only advice that comes to mind is to just be very reassuring and open with your child. Don't criticize or treat him like his feelings are invalid or trivial. But it's also important not too put too much into it either because that will make him focus on the fear too much. Wow - that's confusing! -Sorry- If he has separation anxiety, try talking to him about your leaving to do whatever before hand and reassure him that he will be with someone you trust that will take care of him and that everything is going to be ok. This may take some serious convincing at first but it's important to reassure him that everything is going to be ok. You could even try some exposure work with him a little by having him be with someone else for a little while every day. I know that sounds really rough, but by doing so, he will eventually see that there is no reason to be afraid if you're not there with him all the time. By learning that he can rely on himself without you, the fear should start to fade.
18 years ago 0 295 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was just wondering if anybody has a child with anxiety?My 5 year old son has seperation anxiety and i was after some advice on the best way to handle it.Thanks. Lulu..

Reading this thread: