Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

My son and lightning

20 years ago 0 364 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Boardwalk, This is an extreme legit fear, but nothing I dont believe he should be medicated for, therapy perhaps yes. I was the same way when I was younger, I used to cry, shake and pray during storms, I lived for winter time to come, only time I could relax, even when it came to summer, it could be a beautiful day, but if I saw one dark cloud(not even an impending storm), I want to go home and crawl up into a ball. I also happened to be apart of the April 1974 tornadoes, I was twelve, our house was not hit, but just seeing the sky, the wind, all the damage is enough to affect you. He slowly needs to be desensitized to being attuned to the weather, it will not be an overnight thing, and always reassurance for him, no matter how long it last. I eventually only hated severe storms that came with the warnings on the screen, I had packed up my kids to take shelter before any issue of tornadoes came. Ironically, since I developed PD at age 28, storms dont even bother me anymore, I guess Im more attuned to my physical symptoms, and that extreme fear of storms completely ceased. Hang in there, Trish
20 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome boardwalk, My sympathies and thoughts are with you during this sensitive time. It is always very difficult to see your child suffer. Keep checking the site for others that have had a similiar situation such as yours. It is also a good idea to ask the doctor about support groups that you can attend and any exercises that can be done to keep your child calm through the bad weather. Ask as many questions as you need, and stay strong. Good luck and keep us posted, Josie
20 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone, My son was in a freak lightning storm last summer. He and his dad ran into a deli for shelter. A huge blast of wind caused the store's large air conditioner to fall inward. There was shattered glass and broken shelves. My son was and remains traumatized by this incident. We had our first thunderboomer last week and he was hysterical. First, he was screaming inconsolably in the car, and when we got home he curled up into a ball on the floor in his room with his hands over his face. He stayed that way til the storm passed. Nothing his father or I said could comfort him. It was horrible! He is 8 years old. Now he is very attuned to the weather, and any darkness in the clouds makes him freak. He has been hysterical at school, and I know he's not faking because he is normally a pretty quiet kid. I am taking him to a child psychiatrist for PTSD, but we only had one appointment in April. We don't see him again until June! This is really awful to see him suffer so badly. Please, any suggestions or insight would be appreciated. We have thunderstorms in the forecast all week!! Thanks in advance, Lisa

Reading this thread: