Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,557 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Character Building

10 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

As we all know Keller spoke these words from deep "trial and suffering."  So given this I find these words somewhat comforting and encouraging.  

However, when I have chosen to take the easy route for so long, by using alcohol as an escape, facing reality brings fear.  Fear of what I will find, fear of what I am hiding, fear of what I really am.  Recently it appears to serve only to show me my lack of character as I snap at my partner, and my soul simply feels dry and empty.  Like I have nothing else to give him especially after a day at work, where I give to others constantly.  

Yet, I find hope as well.  Hope that my lack of character will deepen as I make daily choices to continue on this journey.  I am aware that often in my suffering I do not see the fruit in the moment.  Yet, this reminds me to hang on, for the dawn will come, but first I must truly face the night.

Thanks for posting this quote from an author who is both a personal favorite and truly an amazing women.  I needed this today!

10 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved. –Helen Keller

Members, what are your thoughts on this quote? What does it mean, personally to you?

Reading this thread: