Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,509 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

Your Map

12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Snaphu,

I was just able to check in and saw your post. I can see that these questions are understandably very overwhelming. Counselling sounds like an excellent place to address a lot of the feelings you have. Good for you for getting on top of that so quickly! 

We will be right here to support you whenever you need us. When you are able to take a look at those questions start a thread and we can work through them together. 

Keep posting regarding what you are going through and I will be sure to be easier on the questions

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 82 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thanks Hepsie!...  I appreciate your help :)
12 years ago 0 73 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Happy New Year, Snaphu.  I just want to you to know that I am thinking about you and praying for you.  It just gets so hard sometimes, doesn't it?  Do something just for you today--even if it's just a little something.  You deserve it.  Hang in there!
thank you "charmain"... I'm not giving up totally yet... I'm seeking counselling that is offered in my community...next week I will find out more
12 years ago 0 156 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Snaphu,

Just want to wish you a Happy New Year. I hope you start to feel better soon.
very overwhelming questions... thinking of being alive in 5 years makes me cry... I'm 58 and I don't feel well at all.
Snaphu,

Good, honest answers. It looks like you have your first goal to focus on. If you resolve the issue that is making you stuck (the alcohol) you can then begin to focus on other areas in your life.  Right now focus on cutting back on alcohol. What will motivate you to keep this goal on track?

The guilt from thinking you destroyed your life and your children's lives could be very debilitating. It sounds like this is very painful for you to think about. Addressing the guilt and pain while starting to get control of an addiction is a big part of the healing. If you feel you need extra support to discuss these feelings I encourage you to seek counseling.  Sometimes just talking it out with a professional helps to put things in perspective and get you "unstuck". 

In the mean time we can help you with moving forward if you are ready.  Are you ready to put the guilt aside and start making your life the life you want? 

To help you think let's imagine for a minute that you do take control of your drinking and you start living in line with your values. zin 5 years, what will your life look like? Who will you be? How will your children be with you? If you could talk to this future self what would you ask? What do you think this future self would say to you? What advice would this non drinking future self give you?

Ashley, Health Educator
Ashley asked:
  1. What is priority for you to look at now?
    - to stop or slow down my self medicating with alcohol
  2. What issue is holding you back?
    - not being able to cut back or stop my self medicating with alcohol
  3. When it comes to your past; what have you learned from your failures?
    - I have learned that I have destroyed my life and my children's lives
  4. What gift did you gain from them? 
    - hmmm...  don't see any "gift" from such extreme failures and damage 
Hi Snaphu,

What is priority for you to look at now? What issue is holding you back?

When it comes to your past; what have you learned from your failures? What gift did you gain from them? Take some time with these questions as the gift may be hard to find at first.

Ashley, Health Educator
very appropriate timing for the post! but scary!  I am at the very bottom (well close enough)... I am 58 yrs old, I have no job, no security and my health isn't good.  If my husband was to die, I'd be homeless. AND his health isn't good at all (he's had strokes, etc) I am extremely panicked and stressed about my life and life in general, I'm frozen and overwhelmed.  I feel like I'm stuck...
  • I am definitely  NOT "living in line with your values and beliefs?"
  • I am NOT "the person you want to be?" 
Ashley stated that: "We are all a work in progress. It is important to reflect and examine along the way to ensure our priorities are where they should be."
  • I'm sooo depressed about my failures in life, I dwell on them 24/7... I can't move forward or visualize a future at all 

Reading this thread: