Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,553 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

Penny for Your Thoughts..

10 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
No offense taken at all. Not sure what I would be offended by

You are absolutely right, ADD has a downside but also an incredible upside. My partner has ADD so I fully know all the positives My favorite positives is the ability to think outside the box and also be more empathetic then most (even though it might not appear that way as you are often distracted).

How are you feeling today?

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just to clarify on one point you made: I'm very acutely aware of how A.D.H.D effects me, Darwin' being the details after all.I've had almost 49 years to think about it. Here's a thought I'd like to leave with you: imagine someone who loves science and math for all their respective predictive and explanatory powers and yet who can't concentrate on more than two increments at a time, be they units or sequential values or components of pedantic or Aristotelian deductive logical reasoning. I am indeed aware. I can aver and I suspect even demonstrate in that regard, that A.D.H.D. is one of those disorders (not a term I find particularly useful, but anyway) that is both a disability and an extra-ability. But more on that later. I need a smoke. John. (I hope I haven't offended you. If so, it was not intentional).. 
You're absolutely right Ashley, about the smoking, particularly regarding individuals with A.D.H.D. Now that I'm off my med.'s both my smoking and drinking have increased dramatically.Clearly I'm substituting nicotine for methylphenidate and alcohol for clonazepam and seroquel. I realize of course that this is a precarious balance and one which I cannot maintain indefinitely. Bear with me while I sort it out. Frankly, I'm just not in the mood to type an essay about such issues at the moment. That is of course not your fault, but my problem. I really do appreciate your very applicable response. It at least seems to bespeak the language of science. Ultimately,. that's all I have. It's my only lifeline. AQ.D.H.D. Man (John). Thanks, again. I'm feeling a little low; so I do indeed truly appreciate it. .   
10 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello all,

ADHD man, interesting thoughts on prioritizing addiction. I wanted to mention a point on prioritizing treatment. Individuals who have ADHD often self medicate with other substances. Smoking and drinking heavily are common in individuals with ADHD. That being said it is very important to get treatment for the ADHD alongside any treatment you are partaking in for the alcohol. Treatment might mean medication but this is not nessesarily the case. Treatment often involves behavioural changes, diet changes, coaching, and being more aware of how ADHD effects you and those around you. If you are comfortable sharing how are you currently treating the ADHD? How has this treatment or lack of treatment had an effect on your drinking?

Ashley,  Health Educator
10 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yup!!! lots of energy and power there.
10 years ago 0 100 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Someone I was talking to recently came up with this wild idea: wouldn't it be good if we could channel all the obsessiveness of our addictions into one big obsession with sobriety?
A.D.H.D.Man, here. First, I should commend C.A.M.H. on this brilliant web site. It clearly has tremendous potential to achieve impact and raise consciousness on the various issues and implications of addiction. But to be honest, I do have some doubts as to whether my  tendency to use alcohol  or any of my other addictive behaviors for that matter, will actually yield to treatment. That of course, does not thereby negate the usefulness of participating in the program. 

I also want to pass on the following anecdote which I suspect might be instructive, I was walking to the beer store this morning to cash in my empties to buy some smokes from my Vietnamese illegal cigarette dealer, who also incidentally, happens to an ex-heroin addict, which speaks to social networks that arise to accommodate addictive personalities. But that's a topic.for another day So anyway, I arrived at the beer store, cashed in my empties at which point, the server asked me if I wanted any beer to which I responded: "No, I just need money for smokes; I prefer to prioritize my addictions. It occurred to me shortly thereafter, that prioritizing one's addictions could prove to a productive exercise.  There a few criteria that could applied. The A.H.C.Health educators are likely far more qualified than I to determine which are best suited to such an exercise. But I thought of two. One could prioritize one's addictions according to the relative:level of their deleterious impacts on health and according their relative levels of social acceptance. I'm just spit balling here really..Perhaps I'll much around with the idea a little more. Any suggestions. Such an activity could be useful to those of us who have as many addictions as we concurrent disorders. I could say much on the relationship specific disorders and specific forms of substance addiction; but I'll leave it at that for now. A.D.H.D. Man out.. .    
10 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hors controle, I am 55 and have been a functioning alcoholic for years.  I noticed what this was doing to my brain and decided to get off this one way train to dysfunctional alcoholism.  I find power in the idea to change what you can change and accept what you cannot change. This helps to give me peace.  I read a lot about this; but the people around me don't seem to do this; but that doesn't matter if I just accept it.  This is powerful for me.  A related powerful idea is that I my thoughts are not my essence.  I have so much to learn and our lives are so short.  John
10 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you both. It helped me a few years ago for about 6 months. I am sure it will help now, if not to quit, at least to cut down

M
10 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hors controle,

as a user I can vouch for this being a good site to help you control your drinking.

Take care,

Rob

Reading this thread: