Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,555 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Husband excessively drinks every weekend

8 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Freedom,

Quitting well living with someone who drinks is very hard but it can be done. Lead by example. Your husband may be inspired by your actions. Going to AA meeting will certainly help. Any support you can gain right now will be helpful. Also, set boundaries with your husband. Make it clear to him your intentions with wanting to quit. Ask to put limitations on where in the house he drinks, offering drinks and even what he drinks. Figure out what triggers you to drink and then ask for his support in ways he is willing to give support. Be assertive in what you want but try not to be aggressive or place blame on him as this will just make him defensive. Communicate with him when he is not drinking. Keep us updated on your challenges and progress. We are always here to help.

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I believe open means anyone can go and closed means only alcoholics/problem drinkers. Way to go Freedom!
8 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you I will look into other blogs and I have decided to go to AA yikes! What does a closed meeting mean I forgot. I see a women's then says closed. Just for women or members?? 
8 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Freedom,
This sounds like a very tricky situation. My husband still drinks as well (though he doesn't drink as often as I did) and I have asked him to stick to beer and spirits that I don't like. No wine, rum, tequila, or cider because those are my drinks of choice. It helps a lot, but it is still hard sometimes. This past weekend he was having some drinks and I really wanted to join him. Honestly, this website is the thing that kept me from having some. I have found coming on here daily, or most days, very helpful to keep my head straight and "in the game". I also spend lots of time reading other sober blogs. It's a good way to distract myself and pass time during difficult times of day or when I'm having urges.
Oh I changed my name to Freedom because I want to be free from Alcohol. Thanks again.
 I have read many but don't see much about being married to an active alcoholic w booze in the house and to be able to stay sober. I have been drinking most my life. When I was 20 I was in AA a few yrs and both times I was pregnant and nurseing. Other than that my husband a I have been heavy drinkers. I really want to stop and get healthy again. I am so scared. But I am not drinking tonight! I just don't know how to deal w Friday when my husband is off the wagon and drinking all weekend. I guess a lot of praying. The tools say to remove all alcohol and stay away from drinkers. This is going to be impossible for me right now but I really want to change! Thanks for the encouragement!
8 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Gigi,

There is hope and this is a good place to start!  I found working through the toolbox on this website and reading others' posts was a great way to begin to get inspired.  It sounds like you are motivated to make a change, and I look forward to hearing about how things are going for you.

All the very best to you!

I want to quit drinking but my husband drinks in excess every time he is off and I do too. And a few days in between. We have been married 18 yrs and always drink together. I don't know how I can have the strength to not drink when he does. I really want to quit drinking I hate the way I feel lately and my husband and I fight all the time. Feeling hopeless. Any suggestions on how to deal w trying to quit drinking when you have it in house and around you all the time. Ready for a change!

Reading this thread: