Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

thoughts on the past....

9 years ago (Edited 8 months ago) 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting Nodrama - thanks for sharing.
Yes, I just saw it and sent you an email. Ashley, Health Educator

Bump!

If you are dealing with feelings of regret and guilt from drinking this is a great thread to read.

Please share your experience. You are not in this alone.

9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Ashely!

Yes, I have found the 7 weeks to sobriety to have a great list of vitamins that we really need to take a look at to improve our mental well being and that are depleated from alcohol abuse. As well as several tests that really put what kind of drinker we are into prospective. Very useful.

The other one I found to have a lot of helpful info on how to get your mind control back on track. To not be "pushed around" by our own brain and habits.  It's a very frank book which I like.

Both of them have some great stories in them that we can all identify with.

By the way---did you see my post about the problems I've had on the site? Can you help me with that?
Thanks!
9 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nodrama,

Working through the feelings of guilt and regret are a part of the healing process. It can be very painful but it is important you examine those feelings. You were no and never will be your addiction. What person do you want to be moving forward.

Thanks for sharing those book titles with us. Information is key to success. Can you share one piece of information from one of those books that you gained?

Ashley, Health Educator
Foxman,
Thanks!
I am actually an e-book reader. I love love to read and find it really relaxing and have taken it back up recently. But, i can't stay awake long enough to read the posts here and then read before bed. SO, i'll have to try to put it into my day during daylight hours. :) 

I did just finish a great book called "The Alcohol and Addiction Solution"  and another good one is "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" (which is not as good as the other one) both are on Amazon.
9 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am a audio person, for me the audio version of the book really helped me. If you are a reader of course, Amazon is a great place for used books at a great price and Amazon does have audio version of the book.
I love that! Treat the mind like a child throwing tantrums.....or one could say treat your AV like a child throwing tantrums! That's so true for me. In the times past if I felt like I wanted to binge and couldn't make it happen....I was awful to be around...it is so clear to me now at the time i couldn't have put the feeling into words but, now I see it for what it is. Thanks!

I'll have to check out the book you refrence.
9 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle is another great piece of work that help us focus in the Now. It transformed the way I lived being identified with the mind all through my life. Today, I could treat the thoughts as a different entity and not succumb to those crazy thoughts. Treat the mind like a child throwing tantrums. 
Hi all! Yes, I had an 'aha' moment at the end of July. And it was different for me 'this time' because I really felt scared I would hurt myself. When in the past i had fallen or gotten drunk and into trouble it was like me against everyone because I still thought I was ok...I had every justification ...I can't help it, I don't know what happened...blah blah. Really I just didn't think about how alcohol was effecting EVERYTHING in my life and how much anxiety I had. I think a lot of my problems come from super low self worth. But I'm working on that. And for the first time in a long time I feel like my old self again. Thank goodness! Makes every day so much better.

Back to the topic-- my 'aha' moment like yours Kez, included my family, best friends and their families. And I was ready to knock myself off because I didn't think I could stop drinking to excess and messing up everyone's lives--a familiar scene at that point unfortunately. It was a huge scene with drunk dialing, drunk yelling, lots of drunk crying and keeping everyone up until 1:30am and I knew I was serious even though it was the booze talking--but I thought it might actually happen. It was a mess. I sobered up and the next day and joined up here and was able to follow the program and be honest for the first time. And it was my idea---I felt alone before--then found this place and it was the best thing for me. And the rational recovery site has been a Godsend. But I like your idea of looking back and congratulating myself on the positive change instead of focusing on the bad. But the bad does make me sick in my tummy too. I just wish life had a rewind!! 

Dave I like the mirror idea. Kind of like a 3rd person. I do that sometimes....feel like I'm looking in on myself as I remember the messy days of life.  I like the idea of turning it into positive instead of a way to beat myself up. I don't know if I'm able to think of it in terms of 'not my finer moments' yet....but I'll try and just shake my head and roll my eyes. :-)

Foxman, I do feel a new freedom from the Beast I had become. And a happiness and satisfaction....not restless any more. I understand where you are coming from on that. 

Although I did get mad/hurt--irritable--at my husband last night when he challenged me. He asked me if I had bought anything for my day off (alcohol)and he had trouble believing me when I said no because it's been 'too long and the bottom is gonna fall out'. It's different because the last time I stopped for over a yr it was because I was pregnant and I just stopped and had no problem at all....until we had some deaths and The holidays hit....and all bets were off. So, I understand where he's coming from. He even looked through my closet-my hiding place. I got mad and hurt because it truly is different this time. So then there I was justifying myself and it sounded like I was covering up! In fact I caught myself almost saying--- 'if you are going to accuse me I might as well binge'! But stopped one word in and realized I'm not doing it for just him this time! I'm doing it for ME! And even if he doesn't believe me I'm not gonna drink and prove him right. Which I think might be a defining life moment. 

So back to topic---it was ironic he questioned me and really pushed me (are u sure...etc) last nite since I was already in this place in my head. So,  I spent yesterday and then after my deal with my husband, last night, reliving my past transgressions. But I am gonna try the different ways to refrain and look at the past that you guys have shared! I really like the ideas. Thanks!  And if he questions me again I am not going to get upset. I need to stop trying to redo the past in my mind because it's not going to change. And time will put distance. 

Tha
9 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ND,

This past weekend marked one year since I had my "aha" moment (even though it didn't quite happen as quickly as "aha").  I'd had plenty of experience attending weddings, parties, etc where I would wake up covered in blood and bruises (some intentional, some not), and little memory of how I'd come to have them.  None of them quite as traumatic as what you describe below (although some close!), but still many I had to come up with excuses for when I was at work. Last year, I took it one step further and downed a bunch of pills after being triggered with one of my worst nightmares while highly intoxicated.  And I included family members in the drama because it was at a big annual family party. I, too, feel sick when I think about it, so sick and so ashamed it hurts deep in my tummy. BUT, in the one year since then, my world has shifted. I am still so far from perfect, but that horrible, horrible day was a catalyst for change and growth in me. I think it's ideal if you can keep it in your memory while forgiving yourself and cutting yourself some slack. I'm not proud of what I did, but I also try to cut myself some slack by reminding myself that I was hurting really, really badly then and I felt so alone, and I didn't have the tools I needed to battle that hurt and that isolation. If I hadn't caused an uproar that still affects the dynamic I feel in my family today, I wouldn't have had the motivation to make changes. Things changed with them, but I grew. I really do believe that saying 'don't regret the past, too much is learned through experience'. So, my thoughts are that you embrace the person you've become, the tools you have developed, the strength you've gained since the dark times happened. I read through the forums and see how well you're doing and how positive you are. I know I wouldn't be where I am today as far as insight and mindfulness are concerned had I continued to destroy myself slowly behind doors that nobody else would ever open.  Instead, I brought it out with a vengeance for the whole world to see, haha.... and although it was a really rough and shameful road back, I am proud to have done it through my own will. In fact, exactly one year after I started seeing a therapist after going right to my GP post-dramatic gongshow (last Thursday), I was able to actually say out loud to someone "Hey, thanks for helping me change (even just a little) since that day exactly one year ago."  I think I will probably use it as a marker (and reminder) for years to come. You don't "deserve" to beat yourself up. Far from it. You deserve to remember that time so you can CONGRATULATE yourself and be proud of yourself about how far you've come since then. Those are my thoughts, anyway....they are very lonely memories in my opinion but they are also reminders of the inner strength we possess...
9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ND,

Let me ask you a question? If someone you love was in the same situation what would you do? Forgive them? Support them? It's important to remember that you are changing and that person you were is getting farther away. I like to look at like this: When I started I could see the person in my mind that I wanted to be but it was much like looking in a mirror. I could see them but that person, at the time, existed on the other side of the mirror and all I could do was keep my mind focused on where I wanted to be. Slowly but surely the sides reversed and now I'm looking at the person I was from the other side. I can see that person much the same way but I can't go back to where I was. It's the past and I can't change it or live there. It's just a visualization exercise I like to do, if it makes sense....

It's ok to remember but try to do it with some levity....."Definitely not one of my finer moments!"......sigh, shake head, roll eyes.....and move on.....

All the best,

Dave

Reading this thread: