Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,546 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

Accept the urge and ride it out, instead of trying to fight it.

12 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi,

I have had some success with "urge surfing". I thought I would pass it on as it might help someone else.

I prefer to remain positive and use as many tools as I know about. If it does not work later on then I will try something else but I might be able to return to "urge surfing” if I need it later on too.

I think having support and counselling and being rested and well feed etc. all belong in my cache so I have the best chance to succeed.

12 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
These are great suggestions. However: what I realize is there are obsessive thought pattern and regular thought patterns. When my awareness is elevated I could practice these principles but when i am not I succumb to these thoughts and heed. It also greatly depends on how resentful, fearful, depressed I am. But once you start relinquishing those that are blocking our awareness life gets easier.
12 years ago 0 82 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thanks Me2... I've heard of the craving surfing before also...  the waves are a little rough these last couple of days, today is a bad one...  tons of stress, starting to feel better from the flu... etc. etc...  just plain cravings... it's hard to believe that they will go away...
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for sharing Me2 - great words to remember!
Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Hi all,
I found this interesting - I think it is working for me. I felt like I accomplished something one a craving passed.

"Accept the urge and ride it out, instead of trying to fight it. This is known as “urge surfing.” Think of your craving as an ocean wave that will soon crest, break, and dissipate. When you ride out the craving, without trying to battle, judge, or ignore it, you’ll see that it passes more quickly than you’d think. "

I found it at helpguide.org and I think this site reinforces some of the things I have seen/learned on AHC and some other info too.

Have a look is you wish - just thought I'd share.

Best,

Reading this thread: