Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Back again

13 years ago 0 50 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Jaybird! How's it going? Let us know please.

Have you tried to unplan your next drink? Substitute it for another activity? How about long deep breaths and refocusing?
If you still have your family, friends, and career intact, you're one of the lucky ones. But I can promise you, you could lose any if not all of these important parts of your life, if not your life itself.

I know intimately all those feelings you wrote about. Sometimes all at the same time! True.

I'm finding the tools in this site helpful. Why don't you take a look there. And we're here to if you want to dump your feelings again. Give yourself a little break. We're just like you!
13 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jaybird

I know exactly how you feel. I think that just talking about it is a good start. For myself thinking of all the positives of quitting drinking has really helped me so far. 
13 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jaybird,

how are you doing?

One thing that helped me, it is my 24th day, is to log in every day and write my diary.

It is the first time in almost 30 years that I go so long without a drink.

What really motivated me this time was that I almost lost that last boyfriend wich I really love and I realized that I did not want to spend the rest of my life alone with my botlle of red wine. It is not very cozy.lol.

My kids did not trust me anymore, they were arrogant every time they saw a glass in my hand even if it was the first one.

my husband was getting home later and later until he met someone and we split and then every relation I had after that was ending because I would get drunk alone and would get upset and argumentative with the person I was trying to know better.

Do not despair. If you keep on trying, One day you will succeed. Don't give up. Never. I am sure you are worth it
14 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is from book called alcoholics anonymous: (from the doctors opinion section):

Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks drinks which they see others taking with impunity. After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over, and unless this person can experience an entire psychic change there is very little hope of his recovery.
14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jaybird,

Welcome. I am sure many member here can relate to what you are saying.  Getting rid of the beast is difficult and it will change your life.  

What has stopped you from quitting before? What is stopping you now?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
While it has been more than a year since I last logged in, I find myself in the same position as I was then. Probably worse since I've had another year of almost daily drinking and find it is a huge part of my life. I look forward to it, I need it, I hate it, I am embarrassed about it, I feel guilty about it. I hate myself, I am ashamed.  I have a family, a career, good friends... i don't understand why I can't stop... I am afraid of what drinking is doing to my body.  I truly believe that getting rid of this "beast" will change my life, make it better, allow me to be proud of myself, allow me to come out of hiding.  Please help me!  I have tried using this forum before and yet, here I am.  What do I need to do differently? 

Reading this thread: