Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-16 2:52 AM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-16 1:17 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,616 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING, JHAYLO, AEREVE

I need to start somewhere

13 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Very good point Lostjack.

Athena, I think this would be an amazing opportunity for you.  Social support is so essential not only in overcoming an addiction but for life in general.   I know it is a bit of a push out of your comfort zone but I encourage you to reach out.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just remember that every other woman that is in that room when you arrive felt the same as you their first day...nervous and scared.  You can do it.

13 years ago 0 171 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am trying very very hard to stay motivated.  (I am typing slowly an d making lots of corrections............)

I have found out when there is a "Women for Sobriety group meeting near me next week.  I want to go but I am very scared....
13 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
how are you doing today athena?

Have you decided on on first steps??

13 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hu Athena, hope you get this. I'm plodding around this site and don't know if I'm doing it right! I understand everything you're saying. I joined aa, didn't meet anyone I knew there, but if I had've, they'd have been there for same reason. aa didn't suit me. It's a life saver for some, but a downer for me. You just have to go and make the decision yourself. Hope you get this reply, and know your posts have registered with at least one 'trying to be sober'  alcoholic. x
13 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had this preconceived idea that alcoholics are the ones that live under the bridges or on the roadside. After reading the doctors opinion (several times) I realized I was a functioning alcoholic and if I had not stopped I would have ended up there or would have died or gone to prison for killing someone. 

Alcoholism is just not about drinking hard. Its a spiritual malady. How do we handle life when not drinking. We are miserable, restless, irritable and discontented. That leads us to take a drink. But then you have this phenomenon of craving, which kicks after we take that firsts drink, THEN we can't stop. But you may say, just don't take that FIRST drink. Unfortunately our mind is wired different. We tend to forget the horrific state we were just last night or few days or weeks ago and justify ourselves into taking that FIRST drink.

If you look back on our drinking career, you will see this would have repeated over and over again.

13 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Athena... believe me, you are not alone. It sure helps to know that. yes?
13 years ago 0 171 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Please keep talking to me.  I need to know that I am not alone.
13 years ago 0 221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Athena,

First of all, congratulations for realizing and verbalizing that you want to make an important change in your life. This is one of the most important steps to healing. So just know that you are strong. It was very brave of you tell your doctor and reach out for support. You mentioned that you don’t know where to start, and I hope you realize that you’ve have already started the process by seeking support.

I understand that you have young children at home and that your family is very important to you. If you feel you are the main support for them, the thought of leaving for a period time can be overwhelming. In addition, you’ve said that your husband would not be a helpful support. How could you communicate your needs to him? Who is someone whom you could ask to help care for the children in your absence?
It is important to consider your doctor’s recommendation.

Finding a support network is very helpful when you are trying to make big changes in your life. Making connections on the website can be very useful. In the Alcohol Help Centre, you will find a section which provides strategies on how to build a support network. It is called “Support Team”. Go to the Toolbox, and it found under the heading “Maintenance”.

Lastly, you’ve mentioned you’re fear of going to AA and seeing someone you know. Foxman, you gave a great tip by advising Athena to visit the website. Athena, you could visit the website and learn more about AA. You can further investigate, and see if AA would be the right path for you. It works for many people, but it is not for everyone. There are many paths to recovery.

What are the next steps you can take?

Helena, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've thought about attending an AA meeting but I'm terrified of seeing someone that I know.

I had the same fear when i first walked in few years ago. But it is a anonymous program, people really stick to the anonymity Tradition. Yes, there is gossip within AA but, they will not go broadcast that an individual is an alcoholic. Please go to a local meeting that will be one of the greatest step you would ever take in your life. Also, please visit AA online and try to read the book called Alcoholic Anonymous. It entails the problem, solution and great stories (of recovery). 

Reading this thread: