Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,673 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

Hopeful newbie

4 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Lynn!
4 years ago 0 348 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hors controle,
The thoughts of developing memories with a new grandchild should get you through some tough patches.  Congratulations!

Bassman,
It sounds like you know what works for you, that's great.  A lot of the difficulty on this journey we're on is finding what's good for us.  Stay strong and keep working!

Lynn
Thanks Bassman.

It certainly increases your chances
4 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations, Hors Controle! That is a good reason for maintaining sobriety. 

I have good days and bad days. That wicked little AV can pop up on either. As long as I am working on the issue and not "resting on my laurels" - I have a good chance of success. Good luck to you!

Bassman
Welcome Bassman,

I only saw your first post. As High Tower said, one bite at the time. Not to discourage you but I am 9 days into my second month and I find it harder. The mental twist :-). I just remember the cons of when I was drinking and remind myself it is not worth it. 

I have reason to celebrate today. My first grandchild is born this morning. I will have a nice glass of water and think that if I stay sober, I will get to know that child.

You seem pretty determined and use the tools available to you. Good luck!

M

Foxman,
Thanks for the info. I will look into it. I really appreciate your input.
Thank you, High Tower. Your words make sense. I appreciate re support.
4 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bassman,
  I hear you. It is difficult in a small town where there is just one group. Maybe you can be part of AA related online groups. Forum under e-aa.org is pretty neutral, big book based, you may want to explore that as an option.
4 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Bassman

Welcome to the forums and best of luck. You sound like you have the knowledge and that is good. I think at least for me is to take things in smaller bites. Work on today and be prepared for tomorrow. Don't over think or over plan. Sometimes I need to just focus on the hour I am in until my resolve strengthens. Just know that AV is not your friend, you can't trust him. 

You probably already know this but the repetition is what reenforces it. I too find it settling to verbalize my journey and enjoy the feed back of the members here. When things get harder I also just read older entries in here, all the stories and struggles gives me a bit more strength.

Find what works for you and build upon it. The journey isn't easy but it feels good when you make progress. Remember we are all rooting for you but NOT judging. If you have a minor setback we will pull all the harder to get you back on your path.

Why do all my short notes end up being a small novel? I think I use it as a tool to organize my thoughts, I am probably writing to myself as much as to you.

Stay strong
High Tower
Foxman, I have done an inventory and shared it with another person. More than once over the years, with different persons. Unfortunately, I just don't seem to relate well with the vast majority of members of the fellowship here in my small town. There is only one group. My first experiences with the fellowship were in a large city where I lived at the time. It was very different then. I did well for quite some time. Life and situations change. I know the concept of "principles before personalities", but application of that concept is extremely difficult for me at this point. I am finding this writing is therapeutic. Thanks for being there as a sounding board.

Bassman

Reading this thread: