Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,673 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

I need support, I cant do this alone

5 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The toughest part is staying stopped. My mind would always trick me into believing that I can have one or two. But then once I start, I am off to the races. Thats the blind spot we need to watch for. Very cunning!
5 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Omgosh right?! Im nervous about thanksgiving too...everyone will probably assume i am pregnant lol! In all seriousness its going to be hard to abstain i hope we both stay strong. I am going to say i have a headache or something along those lines, maybe that is something you could say too. 

Congratulations on day 5 of your sobriety by the way!...im on day 3. 

Its really disappointing your husband doesnt take this seriously.  That is my fear too. It also makes it so much more real to tell the family and more pressure to not fail. I dont think im ready yet to be honest . 

Why havent you talked to your family about it yet?
5 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Btw: I haven't told my family either.  Well, I tried to tell my husband but he minimized it.  At Thanksgiving I am sure I will be asked why I am not drinking.  Not sure yet what I am going to say.  Or How I'll not drink.  Gotta figure that out soon....but I refuse to stress over it.  Maybe I'll just say, "No thanks. I don't feel like it."

What are your worries about telling your family?
5 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have also gotten fat on wine.  Funny, aren't alcoholics supposed to be malnourished? I don't know what your first step should be, besides abstaining.  I did some of the tools on this site and they reinforced my awareness of what alcohol is costing me- financially, socially, occupationally.  That reinforces my motivation to abstain.  Today is day 5 for me.  On the advice of a dietician I am eating whole grains and lots of veg, lean protein. I find I am more hungry than unsual but I've learned thats to be expected right now.  I'm worried about gaining weight but more worried about relapsing and the damage I've already done to my body, so if my body needs lots of quinoa and beans right now it will get it!  What are you doing to care for yourself?
5 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello...

1st post. 1st time admitting to myself I am an alcoholic. 2nd day sober (well...1.5 as it is just the morning of day 2).

I always knew deep down, but i didnt have a desire to change. Ive been drinking heavily pretty much every day for 3 years now. Like, down a whole bottle of wine in 1 night kind of heavy. At first it didnt affect much of my life, meaning I could go to work and do everything I used to do so I thought I had control over it. But alcohol won, and now it is controlling me. Getting sick mornings before client meetings, or cancelling plans because I prefer to stay home and drink. Ive gained 50lbs in one year. I had to go on medication for depression. I used depression to explain my life going downhill, but I am now starting to realize that all my problems stem from drinking, even the depression. 

I havent told anyone that I am an alcoholic and I am terrified of doing so. Should that be my first step?  I dont know...if anyone has any advice about how to approach this with my family I would love to hear from you...

Cheers,

Reading this thread: