Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,656 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Julia725, RFULLERO, OJOIZA ALTHEA, PKENNETH LANCE, JSABAS

Want to stop drinking in a difficult place!

12 years ago 0 73 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
DavidB, you're doing it.  Keep it up.  My best advice regarding broken trust, for what it's worth, is just to be your new strong self and keep on loving.  Don't expect too much right away.  It may take time.  But love is strong stuff, in my opinion, and it really can heal wounds.  Pardon the cliches.  
12 years ago 0 270 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
DavidB,

10 days! Great work! Were there any coping mechanisms that you called upon more frequently than others? 

Please let us know,

Sonia
12 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey guys!

It's now been 10 days!  I can't say it was easy and that ''the devil wasn't on my mind''.  It is strange how you can go without drinking a couple of days without thinking about it when you know you'll drink again soon....  You understand how strong your addiction is when you realize that you'll never drink again.  All of a sudden you think about that battle more and more ALL the time.  Your addiction is trying to make you bend and it feels terrible! 

On another note:  if some of you have been in relationships while drinking nd lost the trust of the loving person; could you give me ways complimentary with a therapy to regain trust on booze?

Thank you!

I'll stay strong and true!

D.
12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
David,

So proud of you and your achievement!

Use your coping tools and head into tonight with a positive outlook and coping mechanisms to support you!

Amazing!

Josie, Health Educator
Hey  Josie and Calabash!

I've done it!  I was a really great night and I had fun with my clients!  We also won! It's now been 7 days!  Tonight is another test as I will be alone.  I found myself thinking this morning what I was going to drink tonight before I logged in!

Now I know why I have to stay srong after looking at my toolbox!  

Calabash,

Thank you for your support.  I truly understand what you mean when you say you have to drink up.  When I use to drink I never ot out of hand and people don't understand why I'm stopping.  In their heads I'm just the party guy and that always finishes the party in fun times...  What they don't know is that I use to drink everyday like that! Now with your help and the help of everyone in here I'm able to be understood and compare strategies and coping plans.

Be strong for your girls weekend!!!!  OFFENCE!

Cheers (oops bad habit HAHAHAH)!

D.
12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
David,

Hoping your evening is going well and that you are staying strong!

Calabash,

Prepare for girls weekend with coping mechanisms and yes the line that will keep anyone from asking more questions.  You are progressing well and we are very proud of you!

Keep strong!

Josie, Health Educator
Hi David.  Congratulations on your 5 days!  I too find Fridays and Saturdays the worst, and the big social events early on (I am now Day 57) were particularly challenging. I also have a reputation  I have to drink up to!  I think it is wise that you are thinking ahead on how to deal with this event.  My strategy for not drinking around people I do not want to get into it with is:  "I am on antibiotics and can't drink."  To those people I'm closer to I am using the "I'm just taking a break" line.  That having been said, I have a big girls weekend coming up in three weeks and I am afraid about the temptation it presents.  It gets easier, and I feel myself getting stronger, but I think for the foreseeable future, offence is going to be my best defense....  Best of luck...Go Habs Go!
Well it's been 5 days!

A small victory but I already see clearly!  Friday and Saturday are over and I'm relieved!  Those used to be my biggest drinking days.  I stayed home instead of partying and feel much better!  I'm slowly starting to make my grief of the bottle and puting in place some strategies in order to fight the urges.

It will be a long fight that I intend to win.  If I want to have the bright future I want for mysef and the ones surronding me I have to stay focused!

I know some hard times are still ahead and I try to visualize my reactions for theses times.

Tonight I'm invited to the HABS game with a client! We'll be in a private box and there will be lots of alcohol. I'm stressed about having to say no thanks!  Everyone knows me as the PARTY animal and the guy to invite everywhere.....  What will he think?  

Any tricks guys?

Thanks!

D.

Hello Foxman and everyone else!

Thank you all very much for your support on this first day of this initiative.  I'm hanging on after a difficult day of saying to all that I had a problem and needed to fix it.  Lots of emotions and difficult situations being honest in hard times.

I have to say however I feel better and relieved allready.  I'm going to stay strong as I know there are hard times still to come.

I'm flushed but happy to have held on!  Will keep you posted!

D.
Hello Ashley,

Thank you for your kind and insightful words.  I know that keeping drinkink is really not the way and that it will lead to more destructive behavior.  I'm more then comitted to QUIT for good and just talking about it helps.  I'll continue for sure posting my thoughts and looking into complimentary solutions.

Thank you!

Keep you posted!

D.

Reading this thread: