Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

Knowing that i have a problem but not knowing where to start

12 years ago 0 73 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for your support Karl and Vincenza.  I got through that really bad day and the days that followed were MUCH better.  I feel great today, with much more energy and focus.  
12 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am not at all interested in Alcoholic Anonomous. I know that it has worked for many people, and are open to new members and denominations, but their clearly christian approach makes me uncomfortable.

Hey Karl,
  I am not sure what you mean by christian approach. Its a spiritual program of action. I am not a christian but a sober member of alcoholics anonymous for the past 5 1/2 years. They welcomed me the day I walked into the rooms of AA. Only requirement was a desire to stop drinking. Then on you could have your own conception of GOD. in fact there are lot of atheists and agnostics people in AA who are doing great. It is suggested that we work the 12 steps of AA and have a spiritual awakening and that would keep us from even desiring to take drink. I hardly think about booze but I work hard to keep my me spiritually fit.
12 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
And Splitimage,
thank you for the suggestion. Women for sobriety does sound like it is something i would benifit from and be comfortable with. It is not the idea of sobriety that scares me, I could care less if i ever get drunk again. Im just afraid of not being able to go out and have fun like normal kids my age, or having ppl ask me why i'm suddenly not drinking when i do go out (which is very likely to happen). I suppose im just concerned about what other people will think of me.
- Karl

Hepsie,
Your story is begining to sound more and more framiliar to me. This is in fact very helpful and i'm grateful for your replies. I'm also sorry that youre having a hard time. While i have not felt the need to drink, smoke, or huff, every day for 4 years now, it was very hard to get to that point, and alcohol is something that i continue to struggle with. All i could do to remain sober was remove the temptation and remove myself from the situation. When that happened i would begin work on something positive, that made me feel like i was moving forward, that would better my situation. I hope this helps?
- Karl

12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hepsie,

You have the right mindset - one day at a time!

We're here for you,

Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 73 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Karl.  To answer your question, I'm not sure I'll ever have a normal relationship with alcohol.  It's not my friend. Never has been.  I've quit several times and started drinking again hoping I could enjoy in moderation, and it worked for a while, but then it got out of control again--even worse than before.  I'm not going to take the risk this time.  My goal is to never drink again.  I'm on day 23.  Yesterday was tough.  I was very depressed.  I spent most of the day watching Netflix, didn't drink, and I made it through.  Today I feel better.  One day at a time.
12 years ago 0 272 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Karl,

Going 2 months without drinking is awesome, congratulations.   Since you're female there's another organization that you might like to check out for support, Women for Sobriety, just google them.    They are women only, abstinance based, and are very different from AA.   To sum them up quickly, we began drinking for a reason, our drinking got out of control, until we became addicted.   The only solution is abstinance, and then the rest of the program is focussed on building up self esteem and  a positive life without alcohol.   There's no higher power involved.

I do go to AA and find it helpful, but I also utilize Women for Sobriety's program.     They don't have many IRL meetins, but they have a very active and good online support board.   They also hold on-line meetings daily.   I post there daily and find it very helpful.

Good luck.

splitimage
I guess that im a tad more sceptical about talking about my feelings than id care to admit, but talking to a councellor is something that i would benifit from. Thank you Josie for your reccomendation and reddragon for your support.

Hepsie, to respond to your questions, my drinking around family has been something that i have been accutely aware of and constantly checking. I can limit myself but it is kind of taxing. I have drank and drove in the past, which i justified by telling myself if you could do it legally at 23, why not 19. I was very lucky that i never hurt anyone with my selfish actions. Every time that ive had one of my 'episodes' its been when ive felt as though i could "let loose" since i was with friends. Much like you experienced with your bf, ive had friends rail on me for my drinking habits, but are fast to encourage it. It seems like youve had a similar experience with alcohol and this does make me feel better about it. 
My question for you: Do you now have an outwardly appearing 'normal' relationship with alcohol and if so, was it achieved  through councelling or self-regulation or perhaps both?
12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
karl,

Welcome and start by giving yourself a pat on the back for 2 months sober.  This is an amazing milestone and a great step in a positive direction.

Everyone needs help now and then, remember, changing your drinking isn’t any different.

Other people who have successfully gone through the same process share a few things in common.

In addition to the on line tools, here are some suggestions:

Talk to Others:

Think about who you could talk to for advice or support. It’s important to find someone that you can talk to while you make changes to your drinking. Consider friends, relatives, professionals in your community, your health care professional, a favourite teacher, a respected colleague, a church leader – or anyone who you can trust and wants you to succeed. If you’d like to remain anonymous, simply join us here in the discussion forums.

Hear What Others Are Doing:

Find out about groups in your community that meet regularly to share ideas about changing, contact an addictions agency or find a family service that’s right for you. You don’t have to register to read posts in our On line Support Group – so feel free to browse the Support Group and see what strategies are working for different people.  

It Helps to Talk to a Counsellor:

Professionals who are trained in addictions counselling can help you achieve your goal. They are trained to listen without judging and help you understand what’s happening with your body and your emotions. They can also put you in touch with other resources.
Read through the support of others and share in their experience.  It can be very helpful within your journey.

Josie, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Karl, Glad you found us! First of all,  there is nothing wrong with you. It's the alcohol. You're not crazy or psychotic. If you stick with the site, I am sure you will see there are so many of us out here just like you.  The ladies on the support team are full of great advice and  are here to help you in your journey. If you don't want to attend AA, maybe you could talk to your doctor and do some research online to find other sources, books or websites, that can help you understand what alcohol does to us.   And please, please remember, it's not you, it's the alcohol. You're a beautiful young lady with so much life ahead of you. Take care of yourself, we are here if you need us.

Reading this thread: