Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Cognitive Exposure

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.751 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,575 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RREYES, TBACARO, RMUEGA, LARISTOTELES, DeeTart

Just wanted to say hi

13 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
it was not my slip. it was somebody else. i was just pointing out the in-sanity. that after a prolonged absence the mind would trick people into thinking that its going to be alright this time around. 

but to your offer, yes, i am committed for a sober in all dimension of life.
13 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi foxman, 

I'm glad that after your slip you are taking the reigns back and regaining control. This beast is definitely a baffling one! The holiday season can sometimes get the best of us! I extend my hand out to you for support and pledge to remain alcohol free this holiday season, please pledge with me if you so feel the need.

Ray
Life has been good.  About a month ago, I had a slip at a party.

Thats the baffling nature of this beast. When you think you have this under control, it strikes us. Very cunning, baffling and powerful.
13 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Scott!

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing.  Glad to hear you are doing so well!

How is life different now that you have not been drinking?

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone:

Life has been good.  About a month ago, I had a slip at a party.  Drank like a sailor.  Hangover was horrible.  Just reminded me that by not drinking, I haven't been missing much. 

A Merry and Sober Christmas to all!

Scott
13 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Scott,

Keep it up.  Sounds that you are doing a great job at being self-aware and mindful that boredom is not a reason to start drinking again.

Can you think of any adventures you may have wanted to take before this life change?  Now is the time to reward yourself with it as you had made some great progress.

Share with us your thoughts.

Jason, Bilingual Health Educator
Still here, sober, no hangover now for over 6 weeks, feel good.  The excitement and joy of being sober has kind of waned a bit.  Think I'll be OK, but I am a little bored and sleepy.  I'm not complaining, just observing...

To those in the Foxman/total abstinence camp - at the rate I'm going I'll be drinking zero soon because booze has lost its appeal on many levels now

Scott,
    I am glad that you made it through. And please stick around and post your progress. I just wanted to share some information from the book called AA. In AA they categorize the drinks into three varieties. The first the normal drunks. One or two drinks occasionally. And then there are Hard drunks. But, 

If a sufficiently strong reason ill health, falling in love, change of environment, or the warning of a doctor becomes operative, this man can also stop or moderate, although he may find it difficult and troublesome and may even need medical attention.

Probably you belong to this camp.

And then there are the real-alcoholics. Who can never quit on there own resource. Only a spiritual solution could help. 

13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Scott,

Thank you for checking in and letting us know how you did. It sounds like you are making a big effort to cut down and you are having success. Stay strong, continue to work your coping mechanisms and you can also check out your toolbox for a whole section on dealing with desires.

Samantha, Health Educator
I'm back.  Between 5 pm and midnight I had 3 beers and a glass of one, plus 4 de-alcoholized beers (O'Douls - not entirely bad) and 3 diet pepsis.  Everyone else was ploughed - beer, Irish whiskey, Scotch, many dangerous things.  I guess cause I'm still mad (at booze in general, myself for years of abusing booze) it was surprisingly easy to avoid drinking much.  That familiar switch that goes off that compels me to keep drinking until I literally can't drink anymore has gone away.

The other crazy thing was I still had fun.

I think the worst is behind me.  I remember week one thinking how hard/impossible it would be to live without (excessive amounts of) booze. 

To those in the Foxman/total abstinence camp - at the rate I'm going I'll be drinking zero soon because booze has lost its appeal on many levels now.

Reading this thread: