Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Last Cigarette August 4th 11:40 p.m.

7 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nice work on 3 days! I'm not sure what success or challenges you faced after your post, but remember that you fought for yourself and your health, and that's worth celebrating no matter what. 

I think I understand your desire to quit cold turkey. Or, at least, I've had similar impulses. I think it's partly a pride thing, to me. Like, I don't want to rely on help from anywhere else, because it can feel (inaccurately) like a dependency as bad as cigarettes. Personally, the best success I've had was when I used nicotine patches religiously. I followed the steps exactly as prescribed, and it worked. It was hard. I was miserable. But it worked. I made it work.

As far as work goes, so what if you're unproductive for a few days or weeks? You work so you can support yourself and live life, right? You work for life, you don't live for work. Quitting smoking supports life, too. You can get another job. You can't get another life.

Stay strong, or get strong again!  
7 years ago 0 361 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
In the beginning and the end,you're dealing with addiction so do not be harsh with yourself take the time to discover the right ways to deal with anxiety at work ,also be sure that the day will come when you go to work with a smile and clear mind no anxiety no sulk and after all  you will be free.....Wish you all good.
7 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Golfgirl0714!

Congrats on over three days without smoking. Right now you are literally fighting for your health so taking it a bit more easy at work is totally justifiable. In fact, nonsmokers tend to take less sick days and be more productive at work. So if you are able to quit in the long run you will be a more productive employee! 

It has been a few days since you posted last. How are you doing today?
Ashley, Health Educator
7 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Golfgirl,

Hang in there!!!! 3 days are big as in HUGE!!  Your brain is just chattering, most end in 1-3 minutes.  Refocus!!  I go in the ladies room and do 10 jumping jacks, redirects my thoughts and gets my heart racing, like having a smoke, without the downside!

You are not failing but are winning the battle!  The addict is going down!!

Veronica
7 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,

So I quit smoking.  It has been 3 days, 10 hours, and 7 minutes.  I quit cold turkey, as I have done in the past.  The longest I have lasted is 4 months, with a cigarette here and there, usually when I was drinking.  I really wish to be successful this time.  I'm not sure why I insist on always quitting cold turkey, cause it's really hard, but time and time again when I try to quit, cold turkey is the way I go.  So, this is the first day at work since I have stopped smoking.  Honestly,  I feel pretty guilty, because I'm basically hiding out in a conference room all day, doing trainings that I'm not even paying attention to.  But, it is what it is.  I figure one day slacking off at work to help me successfully quit smoking isn't the end of the world.  I just have no desire or patience to do anything but sulk about not smoking.  I know it get's better.  I have done this before.  I think my biggest fear is failure.  I am battling with my brain over and over again...thinking things like, "I'll just smoke today, and the tomorrow I'll use nicotine replacement help."  But, I don't want to do that, I have gone over three days, that's huge.  So that is what my head keeps doing.  I just hope I can continue to be strong, and not lose my job in the mean time :-/.  

Support Please!

Reading this thread: