Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,622 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

I smoke and have asthma...Started 1st dose of Chantix last night

9 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi ya... have you managed to stop smoking yet? I wasnt too sure.  Well done if you have, or good luck if you are going to.  I am going to use 26/02/2015 as my quit date and I really need the moral support too.  I noticed looking through there are a lot of members, but hardly anyone posts anything, so i thought i would be brave as a newbie and offer my suppport.  good luck. 
9 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome!

Wow, it sounds like you have a lot to deal with. I am glad you found us - we can support you every step of the way. 

You have had some good quit experience in your past. Other then Chantix, what did you learn from your last quit attempts that you will apply now?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Pilsner56 ,

Good to see you have made the choice to quit , I agree with what Norisknogain said , not a lot of people talking on this site , but  I will be happy to share my thoughts with you and give any support I can . I know it's never easy thing to quit smoking , but you do have a advantage with your young age , I smoked pack and half a day for 35 years  . I am now one month into my quit . You can do this , Just a matter of taken control and making up your mind to quit , but break it down into small goals , say work to get to two weeks smoke free , then a month , 6 weeks and so on . There is so many reasons to quit and never start back and not one single good reason to smoke . You can do this and your not in it alone as there are others who are fighting the same battle you face and together we all can beat this ugly habit that does nothing but rob us of life .

Gadget044 / Billy H 
9 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Norisknogain, 

Wow, congrats on being 36 days smoke free! Thanks an awesome accomplishment! I can't wait until I can say that about myself. Thanks for the suggestion about Tabex. My insurance company gives me Chantix for free, so thats the best option for me right now. Last time I used Chantix, I didn't really have any of the symptoms listed on the sight. I did have a slight mood change...but thats something I'm aware of now and I feel like the temporary mood change is worth the health benefits I'll start noticing. Good luck with continuing to smoke! If you ever need someone to talk to send me a message!  
Hi Tim, 
Thanks for replying! It was really nice to see that I had a supportive message. There are a number of reasons that I want to quit:
  • I want to improve my health and my breathing. I recently tried swimming to get some cardio in and I found I had a difficult time breathing! 
  • The stuff on my tongue makes me want to puke 
  • I don't want my clothes and my car to smell like smoke anymore
  • I'm extremely busy and its difficult to take a 10 minute smoke break multiple times a day. All that time adds up! 
  • I want to be able to date non-smokers! When I'm dating, smoking is a turn off, even for me! and i smoke! (I know I'm a hypocrite)
  • It's SOOO expensive. I'm a broke college student. I could be using that money to start paying back my student loans or create a savings account
  • I want to see more gains in the gym...smoking kills my appetite and also constricts my circulation, which isn't good for building muscles
  • I'm sick and tired of having an addiction...I'm ready to regain control of my life.
  • Its almost been 10 YEARS. OMG. I know i'll look back at these times and wish I had made the decision to quite. I don't want to have regrets. 
I'm going to keep adding things to my list as I think of them...but I feel like thats a good start. Did you have any different motivations for quitting, ?  
9 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Pilsner and welcome to the stop smoking center forum! Although there are a few "cheerleaders" who will occasionally post, there isn't too much chat on this site-but fear not-I recently quit (36 days now) and will offer you my support in any way I can. I posted a discussion when I first quit and you can read about my journey to quit from the beginning. I am much older than you (I have a son two years older than you) and smoked for 35 years before deciding to quit. I had asthma from the time I was 5 years old until I was 17-i think it was what they consider "childhood asthma" and outgrew it. I started smoking regularly about the time I was outgrowing the asthma. I surely wish I would have quit while I was your age-believe me it is much easier when you are younger. I know all about the stress thing as my job is very stressful and it is something that I thought might affect my quit, but I have fought through it. I tried Tabex as opposed to Chantix. It works the same way Chantix works (blocks receptors in brain that deal with nicotine addiction). It was much cheaper, but not a product approved for sale in the USA. I purchased mine on EBay and received it in about 8 days. At $17 for the full program, I felt I had nothing to lose. The best part is that it doesn't have the bad side affects of Chantix. You can do your own research by googling Tabex. I will check the site regularly and support you in any way I can. It is never easy, but you have to make a commitment to quitting and anyone can do it!
9 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Pilsner56,
 It's good to hear that you want to quit. If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to quit? What's your motivation for quitting?  
Two weeks was a great start, it's too bad that circumstances led you back to smoking to relieve the stress. Sounds like you really weren't prepared for your quit. 
 I'd suggest clicking on the "my program" at the top of the page and go through all of the steps in the program. It will help prepare you for what lies ahead. If you have tools for learning to cope with stress, and ways of dealing with it, you may be able to make this quit stick.
 It sounds like you do not have much time on your hands. If you do have the time, read through the forums on here. There's a lot of information dealing with quitting, and maybe you'll run across something that makes the light bulb go off in your head. You know, a eureka moment that makes you say "I can do this"! 
 Stay strong and keep your guard up.

N.O.P.E. 
  • Quit Meter

$23,292.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 750 Hours: 4

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 49

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi everyone, 

I'm 23 years old and am currently a full time student at a major university. I'm studying biochemistry, working about 30 hours a week and also volunteer at a hospital. Life can be VERY stressful at times. I've been smoking since I was 14-15 years old so I'm about to reach my 10 year mark and I REALLY want to quit. Growing up, my entire family smoked...but since then almost everyone has quit. Now I'm the only one still smoking. The worst part is, I have had asthma my entire life and still smoke. I KNOW, its unbelievable. I can't even believe it. I've tried the patch, nicotine gum, and also chantix. The last time I quit for a couple weeks I was on chantix but then went through an awful breakup and got kicked out of my house so I started smoking again. Worst decision ever. Anyway, I guess I made an account and am posting because I need support. The majority of my friends don't smoke so they don't really understand what I'm going through. 

Reading this thread: