Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,671 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

Starting a new chapter in life.

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Lizardman!!!

Welcome and ... WOW!!!  I understand completely how you feel... been there and done that!  You have some great reasons for quitting and I just wanted to let you know that you CAN do this!!!  Honest!!!  

I became addicted in my early teens and continued smoking for 37 years... yuck!  I had several quit attempts; my first one was because I worked at a hospital and they offered free cessation programs for employees.  Being a manager there, I thought I could set a good example for my employees and do a good thing for myself, health-wise.  Well, that attempt didn't work and neither did a few attempts after that.  30 years later I found the right combination!  The thing that did it for me was finding this sight and the right NRT!  I really have to give most of the credit to the Program and the fantastic support I received here!  I honestly do not think that I could have done it with out all my new quit buddies here, though.

You've taken the first step and completed your first milestone!  Great for you!  Continue to read and learn, buddy, that's the first step!  Follow those 6-P's... Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance!  Follow the Program and make your plan.   Once you have your plan in place it's all about attitude!  If you want this quit more than you want anything, it's yours... FREEDOM!  So, while your reading and learning and thinking about a quit date, Psych yourself up!  Positive statements to yourself like "I CAN DO THIS!" and "I'm going to kick that nico-demon's butt!"   You get the idea!  Believe that you can do this!  The whole process will be a lot better with a Positive Mental Attitude!

There is a wealth of information here... everything you need to attain your freedom!  The big bonus though is all of your new quit buddies here ready to offer encouragement and our knowledge base!  We've all been in your shoes and we are all rooting for you!  Don't be afraid to let us know how we can help!

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,437.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1063 Hours: 12

Minutes: 10 Seconds: 40

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey lizardman,

Nice to see you here. I just quit very recently after 20 + years of smoking every day. I never even made it to Day 3 of any Cold Turkey quit. (By the way, if you can make it through Day 3, you've got the nicotine out of your system; it's worth it to go ahead and be a dick for a few days.) I never even made it through Day 1. I finally quit trying, and hadn't seriously considered quitting for many years. I'm not out of the woods yet, but I have come further than I ever could have imagined. I've been nicotine free for 25 days and cigarette free for a little over a month. It can be done.

I suggest that you do some research here on this site. Check out the posts, complete the first milestone (I think that's the one about thinking about quitting), explore the tools, etc. Then check out some quitting literature on the web or at a bookstore. It will help you to get psych'ed up about quitting. It will also give you some much needed information so that you can develop a quitting plan.  (I never knew how little I knew about my own addiction until I started doing some reading.) 

Good luck to you. I hope to see you around.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,660.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 605 Hours: 16

Minutes: 52 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Lizardman, Let me just say that you are not alone in your frustration in dealing with this addiction. Many , if not all of us have had similar feelings at one time or another. However, believe it or not, it is not as hard as you now think it is to beat this thing. Just give it a chance. One hour at a time, one day at a time. Give your new life a chance to blossom and flourish one hour ,one day at a time. You can do this Lizardman. Give it a chance, Give yourself a chance for a new life.
11 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Lizardman,

Thank you for your honesty. It sounds like you have a lot of reasons why you should quit. But what is making you want to quit? I ask this because coming from a place of "should" is very unmotivating. You have to want this deep inside for no one else but yourself.

Wherever you are in your wanting to quit now start by reading through the program. It will help to give you the information you need. Also, post often. We have many members here who will inspire you; some you may even build long lasting relationships with.

So start there and see where you are tomorrow.

If you really want this then you can do it! We will be right here with you every step of the way.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My wife does not smoke. Her family as well. She is smart insaying it is all about "Will Power". When I started smoking at age13. Al you had to do is scrounge up some change and go to the local conveniencestore and buy a pack of smokes for you Mom!! We were allowed to have a SmokingHole at School Jr. & Sr. High. It was O.K. to be Joe Cool! The MarlboroMan. Kool!!!
I am 42 now. It's not cool anymore. In my industry it is now frowned upon. Even though IT people where codependent drugs to get the job done. A Tank of Coffee and enough cigarettes to stay focused. Impenetrable toTime.  It's now about time management and effeciency stay at your desk, monitor, fix, plan, repair.  Oh!  did I go to the bathroom yet?

I can now feel my body.  Hurting for air.  Hocking loogies getting your chest cleared out before that first cigarette of the day.  I know now I am debotching myself.  I baige the Dr. for help.  "Try this.  Do That."  Wellbutrin CR other psychology medications freak me out.

The electronic Cig is a gimick.  - So, for cessation habitual oral gratification - - - - None Sense.  I had written a paper in High School about Additing Drugs.  Nicotine is the most addictive drug  """""EVER""""".  I want to try Nicitrol Inhaler.  But guess what?  They are $375.00 in which my Insurance does not recgonize.  But a pack of smokes is $5.25 If I get the none premium brand I can get 2 for $6.00 bucks.

So why this long story and my need to start the next chapter in my life.  I have been given a career opportunity for my dream job in the healthcare industry.  Top Salary, the ability to help my family achieve a better quality of life.  But if you get caught smoking on a campus that you do not know is even Posted as "Tobacco Free".  Your Fired.

I can control many factors in my life.  From the time I can remember it was OK to smoke.  On about day three on my cold turkey's my wife say's  "Your Being a Dick go smoke a cigarete".  Even though she is the sweetest thing in the world the with drawls are horrible.  More horrible that weed.  Which I never had a problem with but why Nicotine.

I pray and say.  "God grant me the strenght.  To live and to fight each day.  Against my enemies, fear and weakness's".  I think that the enemy is myself.  I fear that I will die painfully. The weakness are the crutches I use to coep.

I hope I can find it here!!

Reading this thread: