Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

How to cope w stress while you are quitting. Help!

17 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello, I have a son and son in law in the US Army, and even though at the last minute my son got yanked from goin to irag w his platoon just last month I found out late last night he is goin because they are short troops. I told them how can they be short when they just shipped out 36 platoon fromn hawaii where hes stationed.He is my only son, and not married and wants me and his dad to go to hawaii for a good bye ceramony the army gives the soliders goin to Iraq. So can someone tell me how a very worried mother. C an relapse and smoke from the stress???? I know read, pray.. but This is begger then I can handle. Thank you..god bless you and urs. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 28 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
17 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Army pants 2, please listen to the others. I tried to quit before, I looked for any stress or anxiety so I could smoke. Well today is my quit date and I am NOT going to smoke. I am walking around saying to myself I am a NON smoker. I don't smoke. Your son will be so proud of you for quitting. As others have said use the time you smoked or get cravings to jot things down, send an email, put together a little carepackage of things he likes. YOU can do this.... One minute at a time, one hour at a time, one day at a time.... dawghouse.
17 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
God never gives you anymore than you can handle, although it may feel like s/he comes close at times. Turn it over. Your son enlisted. Think of the character your child has. Think of the pride you have in him. Think of the pride he'll have in you knowing that you quit. It isn't just the dignity that we show in living, but also the dignity that we show in dying that counts. Let's just play devils advocate. If you knew that tomorrow would be the last time your son saw you, how would you like for him to see you. What if its not the last time he sees you, how would you like for him to remember you. Smoking solves nothing. It doesn't make us calmer. If it did, we would need to smoke so d.amn many of them. It doesn't raise our IQs. It doesn't make us wiser. The one thing I found that is does do for me is allow me to procrastinate. But we are not always in control. The truth is we rarely are. We must learn to be good passengers in life. Manageability is what I seek--not control. Get a grip! Manage your emotions. Even if its true that we have little control, it is also true that we have some influence. You can influence this outcome. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,327 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $244.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Army.. You are just at the beginning of your quit and this sure is a huge test. Stress is not relieved by smoking it's just masked. I agree with the other wonderful people who posted here, your son would be very proud of you if you continued with your quit. Use your coping skills and you will get through it. You are in my thoughts Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 56 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 849 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $224 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow! I am sure this is a very stressful time for you and your family. I know the stress on Army families. I was born, raised, and married into the Army. Now we are civillians. My heart goes out to you and I will pray for your son. I hope you continue your quit. There are going to be stressful situations along the way, and returning to smoking isn't going to help the situation. I bet your son would be proud that his mom has quit smoking! :)
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Armyparnts2u, Thank you for sharing your story with us. You are sure to face stressful moments ahead and we will be sending good thoughts your way. Have you ever thought of keeping a journal? You could also write letters to your son? Some members find it helpful to find some type of outlet for their stress related anxiety such as a dance class, yoga, the treadmill, a jog... whatever suits you best. If you smoked out of stress, you must find new coping mechanisms. Keep us posted, Danielle ________________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
BGaines is right, hang on and this will work out. Be strong. I am sure your son is proud of you 2 !!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 141 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,403 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $493.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
17 years ago 0 962 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Army - When you go to Hawaii will you please give your son a big, huge hug from all of us here on the site and tell him how proud of him that we are? I know that this is probably the hardest thing that you have ever encountered as a non-smoker but think how proud he will be of you when you tell him that you are not smoking anymore! Dealing with the stress of him going to Irag will not be helped by smoking. Maybe you could implement an exercise program so that when you feel like smoking you can go outside for a walk. Do a yoga video...is there a pool near you? Maybe everytime you feel like having a cig you can write him an email or go shopping for a care package for him. I am proud of you for coming here and crying out for help. It is important to us here to help you in the coming months to get over this addiction while dealing with this added anxiety. There are helpful websites for parents of children that are deployed. My cousin's son is an MP in Iraq now and this website for the Marines is invaluable for information of all kinds. Check these out as well. Stay as close as you can to this site. We are here for you. Island Girl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 168 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,685 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $336 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
  • Quit Meter

$1,704,600.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5865 Hours: 9

Minutes: 50 Seconds: 25

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 586 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
army, I have a son that's 21. I can only imagine what you're feeling. As already mentioned, smoking won't help anything and it would only worsen how you feel. There's an addict inside you telling you that you have to smoke to get through stress and of course, we know this isn't so. This is just another passage to freedom...time to show your addiction who is in control. Others have done it, so can you. Pull out your coping skills and get through it. After all, you need to be healthy so you can celebrate your son's return home. Thanks to you, your family and your son for the sacrifices you're making. I'm very proud and thankful for those who serve to keep us free. Always remember, We're never given more than we can handle. I'll be sure to say a prayer for his safe return. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/2/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 552 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,048 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1970.64 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 58 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
  • Quit Meter

$18,839.27

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 695 Hours: 19

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 26

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: