Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

CONFUSED, SCARED AND ALL MIXED UP

12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Campnfish,

Congratulations on challenging yourself to an endeavor you once thought impossible!  You must feel so great now that you are walking 15 miles and you will be well prepared for your race in September! 

Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Skier, you are definitely on the right track by educating yourself on the nicotine addiction.  Congratulations! and Hooray for you!  Whyquit.com is an excellent source of information.  I know when I first started the steps to prepare to quit it scared the heck out of me.  But I found the one thing that has helped me and continues to help me.  When I sat down and made the list of why I really wanted to quit, I had to really look at WHY.  Not why my children wanted me to quit, or my boss, or society, but why I wanted to quit.  And the truth was I wanted to run.  Yep, I was always envious of those athletes and people who could run.  See as a smoker, even in middle school, I didn't run.  My addict brain would tell me ahhh who wants to do that, have a smoke instead.   At 50 years old and 2.5 packs a day, running was definitely out of the question.  In fact walking on some days was a challenge.  Well I took a good long hard look at the truth and where I would end up if I continued on the path I was on.  I read everything I could about smoking, about addiction and about running.  I started looking at athletes I admired.  The first thing I did was made the commitment to walk.  I signed up for the Susan G. Komen 3 day.  At first I could only do  half a mile.  I'm up to 15 miles now.  That is the amazing thing.  How quickly my body started recovering.  I am also training to run my first race in September!  I guess my point is that if you find YOUR reason to quit...It will work.  Please Please believe the people on here who have done it.  We all know what you are going through, and we have all been there.  It is SO worth it.
12 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Breater for you suggestions, I need all I can get.  I am trying to change my frame of thinking from negative to positive.  Yes, I can make it through bad situation w/o smoking (I just have to figure out how) because that is what I want and need to do. 

Those menthol cigarettes are terrible  two puffs is all I can take at one time.

You just remined me to take the chantix.  I will try the flipping the bottle each time.  Tell me about H.A.L.T., is the time you are most likely to smoke?

Thank you for your time and advice.  I will apply it.

Skier
Thanks Josie for your advice.  I will hold to the quit date and keep reading everything I can find about my addiction.  whyquit.com has help me understand many things about this problem of quitting but this I know
I WILL QUIT!  I WILL STAY POSITIVE AND THROW AWAY THE WORDS THAT HINDER ME, 
No more afraid, confused, scared etc.  I CAN QUIT. 
12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Skier,

Good for you for searching and preparing!  This does mean that you have the intention of quitting.  How about sticking to your quit date and working up toward it?  Cut back, get your coping mechanisms ready and start making a list of how to keep busy.  Your quit date will give you something to reach for!

We are always here for support, so whatever you decide, post with us and let us know how we can help!

Josie, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello skier  Welcome to the SSC. You're not alone in being confused or scared. It's a big step to getting ready to tackle trying to quit smoking. You say that smoking has helped you get through many a bad situation. I say that you can make it through any situation without having to smoke if that's what you really want to do. Buying menthol or any tobacco that you don't like is a good idea because you don't want fond memories of those last smokes. My last ones were stale and really terrible so when I look back there's nothing to romanticise about , yuck ! I have to take some medication so in order to remember if I've taken it I turn the bottle around so I know that I've taken it and can keep track of it. Other people have stopped smoking and you can as well. Yay for you. breather

I have completed the fourth milestone.  This I have learned about my smoking:  the hardest times 1) on the phone 2) when I can't go to sleep or wake up during the night;  3) after a meal or snack, 4) stressed, mad or any emotion in this area.  I know these but have not been able to change or cope with them. 

I have one cigarette left in the pack I am now smoking.  I going to buy one pack of a menthol brand (I hate menthol) and see if this helps.  I bought chantix but can't remember to take them regularly.

I have set my quit date for June 22, 2011.  I plan to give it a dry run on Sunday, June 19, and see where my weak points are and where I need to give more attention.   Is this a good idea or not??? 

It scares me to even think about not smoking.  I am aftraid of failing.  I am giving up my crutch, smoking a cigarette has helped me make it through many bad situations.

I am not sure if I am using the forum as I should.  Any suggestions, please help.

Skier

Reading this thread: