Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

HI!! I am new here and I want to quit smoking more than anything!

13 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for all your advice about the patch......I had a slip up today  and need to do something to help me through the DRUG withdrawals of this nasty habit.  My Dr told me to use the patch and to get 21 MG.  I have them but am scared of the side effects I read on the box... I know it sounds silly but I need to put one on first thing in the AM.   I need whatever help I can get right now.  I agree......cold turkey is not an option for me.....I would need to be in a locked room....and just deal with it, and thats not going to happen as no such place exists.  I am hoping that the patch will help me......will post and update and probably cling to this site with fear.......as I await the side effects I am scare of experiencing.  Once I get through the first day with it or maybe 2 days, I will feel more confident.......
13 years ago 0 433 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi CGL -
I quit smoking using the patch.  Actually, found out it was better to customize it a bit.  I took it off at night or I was awake all night.  After the first week of racing heart beats, I figured out that Step 2 was a better starting point for me as my brand of cigs were "lights".  Step 1 was too heavy duty for me but everyone is different. 
The patches were a long drawn out farewell to nicotine but it let me down slowly but cold turkey was not an option unless I was in solitary confinement.
Good luck! It's so worth it get quit!!!
 Best, 
HP

13 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cowgirlndlace,

I know it's tough now.  Keep venting here but stay strong.  You want this but you have to fight through this.  I know you can do it! 

Regarding patch side effects it is best to talk to you doctor or pharmacist. 

How do you think you will feel once you are a month smoke free?

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 312 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi cowgirlndlace, I know how you feel...this is hard at first but doable...just take it one second, one minute, one hour and one day at a time...you can do this...

I used the patch a few years ago when I attempted a quit (it wasn't the patches fault that I didn't make it). I had very little side effects from it, the only thing I had to do was take it off a few hours before bedtime or I had really bad dreams, then I just put one on the minute I got up (even before I took my shower).

But if you do have concerns about you and the patch...ask your doctor and just make sure you use them as directed...to the extent...

Hang in there..it does feel good in the long run...

Charm

Freedom Meter

Smoke-Free Days: 81
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,626
Amount Saved: $299.70
Life Gained:
Days: 11 Hrs: 7 Mins: 49 Seconds: 54

13 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is soooooooooooooo hard........!!!  I am so trired and haven't slept much.  I would like to try a patch to help  but I am afraid of the side effects.........has anyone used the patch before??  If so, was there side effects like heart papitations and such as the box says can happen??
13 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cyndi:

Glad to have you here.  I know that you are able to do this...In fact I believe that your past attempts will serve you well on this new journey.  I found that keeping a journal is a very good idea.  It does not have to be elaborate, just a pen and a pad.  In order for me to stay on track, I have to keep talking to myself about it.  And I use a journal to do just that.  Sometimes, we are our own greatest teachers... You where not born addicted, you became addicted along the journey. You have the ability to become yourself once again...

stay well

nonic
  • Quit Meter

$66,717.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1376 Hours: 16

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 4

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ojams & Freedomby30, a quick post for moral support from an old Cold Turkey quitter. I didn't plan my quit & thought smoking was just a dirty habit. Boy was i wrong. I started reading the Alan carr book 3 weeks into my quit, the rest is history ! Keep it up !!
  • Quit Meter

$12,553.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 628 Hours: 3

Minutes: 49 Seconds: 1

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 70 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I love Alan Carr's book! I keep it close by....

Olivia Jane
13 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You can do this. It doesn't matter how many times it takes. I can't even remember how many I've tried, but it does feel so good to quit. I did it 33 days ago, and there's nothing like it.

I picked a quit date off in the future, but I ended up quitting three days after I discovered this Website, because there are so many people here who know what you are going through, and they have the desire to you and others along the same path. Use all the resources on this page when you start to feel the temptations, and look at the reasons you wrote for quitting and allow them to keep reminding you of all you have to gain.

We're all behind you; we're rooting for you, and we know you can do this.

Ellie
13 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stay close to the boards on the 20th.  We will be here to support you through it!

What did you need to change in order to make thie quit successful?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: