Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

a little test for me not out of choice...yet

13 years ago 0 206 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good thoughts all, but I have to wonder:  who in their right mind would go through this twice??
(Okay, yeah, loser that I am, I've gone through it a gazillion times, but that's beside the point.)  Why "sorta" quit now only to "really" quit later?

Sydney.  It seems this might be a time for you to be time to "fish or cut bait?"   Why torture yourself?  You've already done a ton of work; I suggest doing all of the work, doing the program here, and making friends with the hell that is before you.  With all due respect, you said you've quit before, and it wasn't all that bad, but you never quite made it, did you?  So it must have been worse than you anticipated.

Sydney.  It's "all that bad" and worse.  As soon as you hit a major milestone (1 hour, 6 hours, 1 day, God love you, 1 week, 1 MONTH!), the addiction rears up and tells you it's "that bad" and worse, and you can't do it.  You can't quit.

Your preparation will determine whether you believe more in yourself or in your addiction.  Do the work, Sydney.  Each step, one after the other, and keep track.  Make your plan.  Be prepared.

It will not be easy.  It will probably be the hardest thing you have ever done, but if you do it first for youself and then for those whom you love (and who love you), the rewards will be off the scale.

But don't quit twice, Sydney.  That's way too hard for anyone.  Decide to quit only once.  You deserve a single, clean quit.  No muss, no fuss.  Just be done with them. 

PLEASE stay in touch with us; we all care so deeply about you.

peteg
13 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Sydney,

Perhaps, take the mini-break to prepare yourself for the real quit.  It’s a good time to identify your cravings and come up with a coping plan.  In the weeks leading up to my quit, I spent my ‘smoke breaks’ rehearsing all the reasons I wanted to quit and visualizing myself as a non-smoker.  During these past four days, I have often referred to these lists to keep me strong and focused. 

Good luck

~ Alice

13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sydney,

Welcome to the first step in your new healthier lifestyle! It's good that you recognize your desire for control of when you quit. I wonder if you might be interested in this: start reading the program and doing the homework; this might entice you to start early. Your choice!!!

And how about setting up your Quit Meter? Will be excellent for keeping you on track as the days tick away.

What makes you want to quit? Is that reason sufficient for you to start (or rather quit!!) early? Some food for thought.

Good luck. Let us know what you learn...

Tiana, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

$79,499.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5542 Hours: 5

Minutes: 9 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So I am planning on quitting two weeks from now. But in the meantime I am completely broke and have ran out of cigarettes. I guess I need to tide myself over until than..I feel like I am going nuts. Its so hard for many non smokers to understand esp. my family members they say well obviously you should just quit now since you cant smoke anyways. I am also going to abstain from asking any family members or anyone for money for cigarettes because i feel so guilty about getting others to fund my addiction and enable me. but for me its all about control. i like to plan my quit and not just quit because i cant smoke because before i know it I will be smoking again.

I am also hoping though that this mini quit will help me with the  actual quit and let myself know that I can live without smoking and its not going to be painful. I have quit cold turkey before and the physical withdrawls have not been bad I just have very bad psychological withdrawl and cravings when I am unexpectedly  out of cigarettes. i go to drastic stupid measures to get a fix, some which are just down right nasty.

I am an addict, an addict to cigarettes and I dont like it. i want to be free of it. so hopefully this will teach me something.

• Quit Meter

$23,842.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 446 Hours: 16

Minutes: 54 Seconds: 28

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: