Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

My quit, starting at day 1.

13 years ago 0 206 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey HC --
I read through all of your posts with great interest and enormous sympathy; you could have been me, I've been there so many times.  I'll probably catch some flack for this, but I gotta tell you I agree that this isn't the greatest time for you to quit.  NOT SAYING give up on it by any means!!  I'm just saying that for something as totally life-changing as this, the stars and planets do need to line up in a certain way.  All-day car trips with a smoker who rolls her eyes is totally not part of that lineup.
The good thing you noticed was that the "sneak" cigarette didn't help at all --- that's gotta mean that your body is finally getting used to being free of chemicals and doesn't want to go back there.  It seems to me that you're through the worst of it, so if you can just hang on for another day (or even just do that one-crave-at-a-time thing), you'll make it.  Maybe you're thinking too far ahead?  Maybe if you could promise yourself that you're not going to smoke in the next 5 minutes because your body has already told you how much it hates it??  Just something that has gotten me through in the past....

peteg

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 9/13/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 1
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 50
Amount Saved: $14.13
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 6 Mins: 20 Seconds: 30

13 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes I do... all the time... I call myself a reptilian (brain)... and am there with you. So email me to see who gets the biggest brain dummer award first... lol
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 7/24/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 48
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 960
Amount Saved: $249.60
Life Gained:
Days: 5 Hrs: 6 Mins: 11 Seconds: 26

13 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good morning hccaver. Do what is right for you. Smoking isn't a moral issue. Every time we try to stop we're teaching ourselves not to smoke. Whether it's 2 months or 2 hours it's a training exercise. If you haven't read it before try and get a hold of a copy of Alan Carr's The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. It's helped a lot of people to stop. I found it a big help. At any rate don't stay away from here as some people do. You're the most important person here. Enjoy your trip. breather
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 11/11/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 666
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 33,300
Amount Saved: $15,984.00
Life Gained:
Days: 121 Hrs: 10 Mins: 48 Seconds: 59

13 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi hccaver. Just don't cave. That dizzy feeling is probably caused by the carbon monoxide leaving your system. Usually when I've tried to quit smoking, it has been the reason why I can't sleep. I start to feel like I'm floating and dizzy every 15 minutes or so and wake up. I think it was happening during the day time, too, but it was more obvious when I laid still at night. The feeling will not go on forever, because the carbon monoxide will not stay in your system forever. However, remember this. Think about how bad you feel long and hard. Remind yourself that you never want to go through this again and, therefore, you can never smoke again. it isn't worth it.
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 494
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 13,832
Amount Saved: $5,878.60
Life Gained:
Days: 55 Hrs: 15 Mins: 21 Seconds: 32

13 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Leslie. I completely agree that there is no good day to quit. I was just having a moment. It's really no wonder people do not quit this habit. It's possibly the most impossibly possible thing to overcome.  I may not have another chance to write before I leave for vacation, but I'll let you guys know how things are when I return. Thanks for being here and thanks for the support!
13 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey there... if you wait for your mind to be in the right place to succeed then you'll never quit.  There is never a good time or place to quit.  We all have issues from work or family or significant others.... or the traffic on the way to work may have upset us... either way you have to give your craving 5-10 minutes to go away, and then keep doing that everytime you get a craving until you are finally past the point where you know you won't give in because you've given your quit your all and you don't want to have to do it all again..... then your pride kicks in and you won't allow yourself that one puff, that one cancer stick that'll end your quit all over again. 
For me, a lot of it was pride but it was also the fact that I NEVER WANT TO GO THROUGH THE PAIN OF QUITTING AGAIN!!!  Sorry for the caps lock but I wanted to make my point 

You can do this if you want to  

Leslie 

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 2/14/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 3127
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 125,080
Amount Saved: $18,762.00
Life Gained:
Days: 321 Hrs: 17 Mins: 24 Seconds: 40

@ Breather - 

Okay, so after writing this I broke down and smoked a cigarette - If I didnt tell the truth I'd only be lying to myself. I had to see if it would make me feel better, and it really didnt. My girlfriend smokes and leaves the darn things laying around everywhere. She's a great girlfriend, but in all honesty has been horrible about supporting me during this. Even now, as I ask to be left alone (in the computer room) for a moment to reply to this, she rolled her eyes at me. This kind of crap doesnt help - at all. She's very sensitive to anything I say and doesnt seem to understand how tough this is for me. Yes, I've sat down and forewarned her about what's to come. I don't mean to make her sound like a bad person by writing all of this, she just doesnt deal with any stress well and get's her feelings hurt very easily.

When I say I've really picked about the worst time to try and quit it's because I have. This month in particular I cannot get away from people (which is what I want to do). I just want to be left alone most of the time. I'm an avid outdoorsman and most weekends I can take off and spend the weekend alone in the woods. Two weekends ago I helped my Mom move two states away and this past weekend was stuck at home. I go on a multi-state vacation this coming weekend and will be driving everyday for the 9 days following that.

Believe me, I know there is NO perfect time to quit, but my mind needs to be in the right place to succeed. What should I do? Not worry about it over vacation and proceed when I get back and can get away? I want to cancel the vacation all together, but I know I cannot deal with an emotional girlfriend that I will get if I cancel. Better put, I do not want to go right now, at all! If I tell her I don't want to go it's going to be heck at home from hurting her feelings. If I go it's going to be heck in the car. Ugh, it's hard to believe this darn habit can be so life controlling.

What do you guys think I should do? Worry about quitting now or when I get back and can take off by myself? 

@ Josie - No no, I don't think I'm having any serious symptoms, just getting used to not smoking. Breather's theory about oxygen sounds plausible. Something just doesnt feel right, like walking sideways or something.

13 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HC,

Welcome and know that the honesty in your post is helping you heal.  13 days is great, however, what symptoms are you feeling?  The spaced out feeling is normal and may take a while to fade, but if you are experiencing anything else you should check with your doctor.

The first two week's are the hardest, check the milestones and see what you can expect in the next couple of weeks.  Do keep a journal and note what is triggering you, what makes you feel good and what you are doing with your time.  This journey may take awhile, but we are with you every step of the way.

Keep venting and let us know what else you are noticing, you can do this and you are doing this!

Josie, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hello hccaver  Sounds to me like you're just telling it like it is. The first couple of months were phsyco for me. I think it has something to do with how much oxygen we're getting or aren't getting. Of course it's tough but the end result is well worth it. Everyone's different but at some point you'll start to feel better in yourself. Having gone through the worst part already you can handle pretty much anything that comes at you now. 13 days smoke free is awesome. Excellent for you. breather
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 11/11/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 665
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 33,250
Amount Saved: $15,960.00
Life Gained:
Days: 121 Hrs: 9 Mins: 13 Seconds: 33

I just read my below post, and this is exactly what I'm talking about. I sound like a rambling idiot. I feel this way all day too. I've never been Mr. Grammar, but I don't feel like my writing was that horrible before quitting!

Did anyone else feel dumbed down during their quit? 

Reading this thread: