Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Scruffy's on board

14 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Scruffy!!!

Welcome to the site and congratulations on making it through Hell Week!!!  It really does get easier from here on out if you keep telling yourself that you absolutely want this quit MORE than you want to smoke!  That's the whole secret to quitting!!!

I know that it really isn't as easy as that, but if you step back and think about it, it really IS!!!  It also helps to have a wonderful program  to help you and a great support team, like the one I found here!  Another thing that helps is having a Positive Mental Attitude throughout the whole journey!  Never say you can't, because if you want it bad enough, you CAN!!!

That's how it started for me!  Picking the right NRT, reading and learning here and then trying to help everyone here as much as they have helped me!  That's the way to quit!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 557
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 13,925
Amount Saved: $2,297.63
Life Gained:
Days: 94 Hrs: 8 Mins: 3 Seconds: 49

• Quit Meter

$44,385.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1062 Hours: 5

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 40

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 47 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley,

Could you explain to me how the personal programme profile works. I am having difficult downloading my avatar and my stop smoking video. I also completed the "screener" part of the programme although it is not marked as complete.

Yours sincerely,

Scruffy.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 9/6/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 6
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 144
Amount Saved: �61.56
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 23 Mins: 58 Seconds: 5

Ashley,

Thank you. I find the site very helpful and intend to avail of it for as long as is necessary. Tresa still comes back after 6 years to help which is very impressive. I am a full week off the fags now and am proud of that - it has not been easy and although I am wary of being over confident I feel that I will succeed this time. Thank you - I will try to remain strong. Although I think that, for me, quitting nicotine is not so much a matter of being strong but has more to do with will and thoughts. The better I  can control my thoughts the better I can distract myself and hence avoid smoking. Anyway this site is awesome, comprehensive and mature. Sometimes people are like ants - when they put their minds together and focus on a subject they can achieve great things, like this site.
 Thanks again.

My Milage:

Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 23 Mins: 47 Seconds: 59

Karren,

Thank you for your words of support. I do think this is the right time for me to quit. My life at the moment is hectic but if I manage to stay off the cigs during these times with all the external pressures then I have a greater chance of staying off them for ever. I read a few of your blogs - you sound like my sister. A bit loquacious but honest, humble and sincere. Anyway, I am still off the cigs after a week which I am proud of. It has not been easy. I am not yet comfortable without cigarrettes but it has not been unbearable. I envy you the fact that you found it so easy once you had quit. I will probably put on a few pounds myself but I am training for a triathlon in order to try to counteract the inevitable weight gain. Thanks again.

My Milage:

Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 23 Mins: 45 Seconds: 57

Tresa,

Thank you for your kind words of support. 6years quit is very impressive. Hope springs eternally. It is even more impressive that you still visit this site in order to try to help people. It is a noble cause and I salute you. I am only 1 week off the cigs but this site has already been a great help and I can see it will be in the future. Thanks again.

My Milage:

Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 23 Mins: 41 Seconds: 37

14 years ago 0 855 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome scruffy :) hang out here , you will get this done :) Tresa
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 2590
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 62,160
Amount Saved: $10,878.00
Life Gained:
Days: 336 Hrs: 11 Mins: 42 Seconds: 0

14 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Scruffy-I hope you find the support you need here at SSC. For me personally, the support was instrumental and conducive to the other mechanisms I had in place to ensure a succesful quit..i.e. NRT's (patch) and support from Health Professionals.
I understand you have alot of external pressures at present, however, I dont think there is ever a 'right' time to quit, and if you feel this is your time, then I hope we here at SSC can offer you the support and info you may feel you need to ensure your success. Good luck, and do keep us informed of your progress- five days is pretty awesome already- so well done to you!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 488
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 12,200
Amount Saved: $7,320.00
Life Gained:
Days: 57 Hrs: 14 Mins: 31 Seconds: 24

14 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Scruffy!

We strongly encourage you to prepare for your quit using the program. Quitting smoking is not only a habit, it's an addiction. This program is going to help you plan how to deal with cravings and more importantly teach you how to replace this old habit with a new one.

You'll also need to put into place a reward system. It should have three components: small one for after each craving, medium for the end of each smoke-free day and a bigger one for the end of each smoke-free week.

Start reading through the forums, you'll quickly realize that many have felt just as you do now and they are now non-smokers. You'll also be able to find a lot of tips and tricks to help you along the way.

I am sure that you will hear from a lot of members who can relate to your situation.

Keep posting and reading! Stay strong.

Ashley, Health Educator

This is my fifth day without nicotine. I am 43years old and have smoked approximately 24 cigarrettes per day for the last 23 years. This is about my 8th attempt at quitting. I feel confident but wary at the same time. I am a solicitor with my own practice (or more accurately), a practice jointly run by myself and my wife who is also a solicitor. We have 4 kids under the age of 8years, alot of expenses, little time, alot of stress and are currently trying to keep our head above recessionary waters. I am not looking for sympathy - these are just the facts. I would be interested to hear from somebody with a similar profile who is going through the same quitting process in similar circumstances.

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 4
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 96
Amount Saved: �41.04
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 15 Mins: 57 Seconds: 39

Reading this thread: