Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

I am new here!

15 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jella, there never is a good time to quit !

As i mentioned below.... "Knowledge is the key here. If you learn about why you smoke & how nicotine effects the body chemistry, the emotional transition to non-smoker will slowly make sense."

don't really have much more to add than that except ..... don't be discouraged.

If you feel it's not the right time then it probably isn't, you will know when you are ready.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/1/2005
Smoke-Free Days: 1322
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 46,270
Amount Saved: $8,593.00
Life Gained:
Days: 194 Hrs: 5 Mins: 4 Seconds: 46

• Quit Meter

$12,557.46

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 628 Hours: 5

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 42

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think being prepared is extremely helpful.. as for waiting for  a stress free time.. well you may as well live on the moon.

The day  I  began my quit (with Chantix)  we received the new my mother in law had lung cancer.....  And we were on the way home from one my husbands (every 6 months now) check ups after melanoma surgery.

so pick your day , be prepared.  i had the fridge full of bottled water,  loads of mints, licorice thinkgs to chew on. 

I used Chantix  and it wa a huge help to get me through..  I took it about 60 days.. at the end of 60 days. I had found this site .... on my first week I think.. so I hung out here, used the program and resorces here,  Read like crazy...

Admitting ... that I am an addict... not diffeent from any other kind of addiction.. I am addicted to nicotine.. and being addicted I cannot have one puff.... or I will be right back to smoking ... a pack a day.

I planned some rewards.. starting out small... and then some larger things.. we also adopted/rescued a 9 yr old calico cat..

Treat yourself well... Reward yourself,, bag to us and others...  We will help you... you have to holler for help... and let us help you...

The right day to quit.. is the day you have your water... and your tools.. and go for it.. The longer you think about it , the more anxious you will beccome.   The worst thing about quitting is... thinking about it.

Bonnie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 187
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,179
Amount Saved: $635.80
Life Gained:
Days: 26 Hrs: 17 Mins: 28 Seconds: 32

15 years ago 0 855 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Hi Jella, i believe any time you quit is a good time, just get all your stuff in order, go into it positive say  ( I QUIT) dont go into it saying iam trying to quit, just know we are here when you are ready , i will be up there sitting in your cheering section , just look up and yep thats me  , You can do this :) Tresa
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 2198
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 52,752
Amount Saved: $9,231.60
Life Gained:
Days: 314 Hrs: 6 Mins: 17 Seconds: 46

15 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jella,

I'm a huge believer in preparation too.

I picked a quit day that was several days away. (For me it was three weeks.) Every day leading up to quit day I would go through the program and read the posts. I thought about how that day would be and how I would act differently. I identified my triggers and planed my responses.

As the day approached I was so anxious I couldn't wait to take on the challenge--in fact I got started 3 days early.

I wish you the best of luck.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/26/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 19
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 570
Amount Saved: $95.00
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 21 Mins: 17 Seconds: 26

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jella- dont look at is as failure- its a set back. You said yourself you weren't prepared, and preparation is the key it really is. I cut down my smokes from 30 a day to 15 to  8  to 5- and although I found that tough it did at least train my mind. I then used patches using the full programme and I wondered if there is any reason you have chosen to go cold turkey?
I admire anyone who quits cold turkey, but you have to know yourself to be able to do that, and I knew I couldnt do it alone. So maybe you might consider using some sort of aid to make your quit succesful?
Anyway, thanks for sharing, and drop by when you feel back on track to tackle the habit and we'll all look forward to helping you along.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 96
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,400
Amount Saved: $1,440.00
Life Gained:
Days: 11 Hrs: 7 Mins: 34 Seconds: 30

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jella,

Preparations is key.  Pick a day and stick to it. Don't keep putting things off until tomorrow or the day after or after that. The first week is the hardest but once you've completed that week, things will get easyer with time.

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Jella.   I failed on my quit Day and smoked the last 10 cigarettes in my pack - the one I was supposed to have thrown out the previous night! ( PREPARATION!) So I blew the Quit Day and came in here and confessed and used a bunch of Mickey Mouse excuses about "wrong mind-set" and got my a** kicked by at least one member - a longish-timer - and that shamed me into realizing that I had to own this addiction, stop all the rationalizing, stick very very close to this site and read and post every day as tho' this was the most important thing in my life.  And I did.  I threw everything out that evening - lighter and ashtrays - and started afresh the very next Day.
   Now you do that too. Throw away all the stinky doo-dads of smoking and sit in front of your computer and TALK about your difficulties with the Quit!  Expect it to be a bit hard on you, get used to being vigilant and thinking before you smoke and asking for HELP immediately. Then wait for a while for some replies - DELAY.....
 Have that iced water at hand and do deep breathing and trying like crazy to wipe those craving thoughts from your mind.... it's your life to save!
 Everyday is stressful when you are quitting.... deal with the stress...

Patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 209
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,225
Amount Saved: $2,351.25
Life Gained:
Days: 38 Hrs: 20 Mins: 15 Seconds: 45

15 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hallo and thank you to all of you who welcomed and encouraged me.  - And I failed. Right on the next day. I have to mention that I made the decision day to day and was probably not good enough prepared. I also have to admit that this is a stressful time for me right now. Somewhere I heard that it is better to choose a quite  time like vacations or so to quit smoking. Maybe somebody of you has an advice to this. I am disapointed of myself and a little discouraged, but I did not give up the general idea to quit. I am looking forward to your responses.  Jella

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/9/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 5
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 75
Amount Saved: $13.50
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 15 Mins: 4 Seconds: 49

15 years ago 0 289 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jella and welcome to the group, you will find folks here that understand what you feel and are going through. Take it 1 day at a time.
Lisa

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 132
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,280
Amount Saved: $580.80
Life Gained:
Days: 14 Hrs: 10 Mins: 49 Seconds: 49

15 years ago 0 433 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Jella!

Nice to meet you and welcome to the SSC!

This is such a wonderful community of caring people... lots of support here!!! 
I would never have made it without reading all the posts here. If you have time, go into
all the past posts... you will always find great advice there from people who have been in your
shoes.

The program really works so be sure to finish your worksheet and plan your REWARDS!!! 
Super important because it is key to help your quit. Positive mental attitude is a biggie!!!
It is so wonderful to finally be free of this addiction!  Keep strong... you will make it!

Stay close to the site and let us know how you are doing!
Good luck!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/1/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 130
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,120
Amount Saved: $748.80
Life Gained:
Days: 15 Hrs: 21 Mins: 59 Seconds: 30

Reading this thread: