Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Tomorrow is the day!

15 years ago 0 433 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Amanda!
Welcome to the SSC! 

Believe me, I can relate to the dental issues. I've had sooooo much dental work and the whole time the dentist was telling me to quit. I sure tried but slipped every time.
Trust me, smoking will do a number on your mouth.... gums, tartar buildup, disease and most of all... bone loss which equals tooth loss. It's the nicotine that lessens the circulation to the teeth so they get weak. Plus, smoking leaves a thin film of sticky gunk on your teeth that traps bacteria and causes decay. YUCK!  If you are young, you can save yourself a whole lot of agony and money by quitting now but it's never too late!

Now I have quit and the dental work is much easier, the gums are better and you will not be self conscious when you visit the dentist. I have my teeth cleaned every three months and the stains are a lot less! Wish I had quit sooner!

Hope your first day is going well! 
Keep us posted!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/1/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 130
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,120
Amount Saved: $748.80
Life Gained:
Days: 15 Hrs: 22 Mins: 0 Seconds: 50

15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Celephais,

Welcome to our support community and congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking. Take some time to look around the site and get tot know all of the tools and resources that are available to you. We offer support emails, Instant Messenger, the support group, personal blogs, and many other tools to help you stay connected and get the support you need to make this quit a success. Get started on the program and create a strong quit plan.

Keep us posted.

Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Treat yourself with great love and devotion during this Hell Week (always do that anyway) and know that it does get better in the future... Good determination, Amanda!

Patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 204
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,100
Amount Saved: $2,295.00
Life Gained:
Days: 37 Hrs: 21 Mins: 46 Seconds: 55

15 years ago 0 855 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Hi Amanda and welcome to SSC this is a great place for support and there is always someone here to help, always  come here and read if you think your gonna give in, I will be sitting in your cheering section, you can do this and i hope to see you around for days and months to come even years :)  Good luck with your quit  Tresa
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 2192
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 52,608
Amount Saved: $9,206.40
Life Gained:
Days: 313 Hrs: 9 Mins: 57 Seconds: 54

15 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone!
I wanted to introduce myself and get to know you all.
My name is Amanda and I live in the south east US. My quit date I have set is tomorrow, August 9, 2008. I'm going to be using the patch to help me deal with withdrawal symptoms.
I quit several years ago, but started back when a friend offered me a smoke. Bad me! I quit again for a few days about 2 months ago. I was doing well, but then my girlfriend had to leave for work and I slipped and went back to smoking while she was gone.
I am concerned about the effects of smoking on my health and also the effects of secondhand smoke on my girlfriend's health. I had oral surgery about 2 weeks ago and I'm having problems with healing because I smoke. My dentist told me that stopping smoking would really help my mouth heal faster and easier.
The times when I smoke most are in the moring, after I eat, when I'm driving, and when I'm bored. I've planned out some coping strategies for each situation and I'm going to stick to them with all the willpower I can muster!
Tonight is my last night smoking. With my girlfriend's support and the help offered on this website, I'm very confident that I'll be able to quit.
Oh, one last thought - if anyone wants to have a "buddy" to offer each other support and encouragement through email, texting, or chat, I'm all for it! I'll need a buddy, I'm sure! I'd especially like to find someone to text with, but any support is good!
Thanks for listening to me, and I can't wait to get to know you guys and gals better - I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of me!
Happy quitting to all!
Amanda

Reading this thread: