Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,719 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ktktindy1, Julesy, grames, rainyjade, AJ8142

Hello, I am new.

17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Love the screen name! Also a Chantix quitter---great stuff! I was a 3 pack a day smoker for 34 years and told to quit after a COPD diagnosis. You CAN do it! This site is wonderful and lots of folks from all over the world come here to quit. Cultural differences and english syntax sometimes come into play on posts....makes it entertaining and interesting at times...we have a hell of a lot of fun at times! :) As for that coffee break...my newest coping tool (serving a dual purpose since I gained a little weight) is to walk up and down the 3 flights of stairs at work. If you have computer access, you might come here on that break! Try word searches or crosswords....lots of things to do EXCEPT smoke. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 217 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,883 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1736 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rhondababy, Welcome to the SSC and congratulations on three weeks smoke free! Please take the time to work through our online quit program. It is a wonderful tool that can help you prepare and plan for cravings and other triggers. With regards to your drinking, both alcohol & nicotine stimulate similar chemical changes in your brain through the central nervous mesolimbic dopamine system. Chantix blocks nicotine from stimulating your brain in this manner, it's possible it may also be doing the same for alcohol although there is no research as of yet that has examine this medication' potential role in alcohol consumption. If you'd like additional help on reducing your consumption, we have a sister site that may be of help to you: www.alcoholhelpcenter.net Lou, Anything you want! Have a coffee, go for a quick stroll, have a snack, listen to some music, read a few pages from a book, do a crossword. Again, whatever you want! Maitas, We recommend that you follow the full course of treatment. If you search through our threads, you'll find most quitters do not experience great difficulty stepping down after their course of treatment is complete. Keep us posted. Danielle _____________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lou - During my first smokeless week, during the times when I used to take smoke breaks, I came here and read/posted instead! It seriously helped A LOT! Give it a try! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,696 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $312 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
  • Quit Meter

$1,136,075.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5544 Hours: 0

Minutes: 52 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I also have been taking Chantix since March 10th. It did seem as though 2 pills a day for me were too much also, so I cut down to one a day. I think my concern is what is going to happen when I get off of these totally. I really don't think I want to be taking these too much longer. Maryann [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/10/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,033 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $170 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
17 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That is a hard time. Hopefully you shall be able to feel slightly [b]smug[/b] ;) when you see your work mates go off for a cigarette. Haha! You may feel the pangs of craving but they won't last. They can be very strong but knowing what you go through in the first few days you will know that you can manage to get over them. :) Try not to eat rubbish. I did really well to start with. It was when I thought I was getting over the worst of it that I started to eat more than I should inbetween meals. Just keep the knowledge inside you that it WILL get easier. It may seem like it will always be difficult at times, but it really does get better. I'm looking forward to getting past six months. :) As I look back over what I've gone through I can see the changes in myself. All for the better! :) You are doing an incredibly wonderful thing for yourself and your loved ones. You will feel proud of your strength and willpower. Hang on to those feelings. Take care. Claire xx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 157 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,932 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �863.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
17 years ago 0 706 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Once again, thank you! This is just amazing to me. Thank you so much for reassuring me that it is ok to be scared. Here I am 33 years old and scared of quiting smoking. Guess it is because I don't remember life before I started smoking. For as long as I can remember I have been a smoker. I am looking forward to the day that I can say I am a non-smoker and feel confident about it! I fully understand that I must put my quit before my weight loss. Just so hard to think about gaining that weight back. I worked very hard to get rid of it... I do understand that I can get rid of it again and hopefully if I continue doing what I have been doing it won't be to bad. Then add in a good walk daily and maybe cutting back a couple hundred more calories a day. Hey, I can do this! As far as the Chantix. I think it is already working and I have only taken it 2 days! I haven't been wanting to smoke as much and I think most of what I have smoked has been out of habit. Then just a little bit ago I went outside and it tasted awful! I didn't even smoke half of it. My boyfriend told me not to buy anymore cause I may be ready... early! Question for you all... hopefully someone is still reading.. LOL! I understand that quiting means a lifestyle change and I am good with that. I have made a lot of lifestyle changed since the first of the year with the weight loss. I know I can do it.. My question is this. Just a situation... at work at 9AM I always take a break, and of course that means going outside to smoke. What do I do instead? I mean I only have 10 minutes... any ideas.. Overall, what do I do during the times I usually smoke? Any ideas are appreciated...
17 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lou First off its ok to be scared of whats to come next week but believe me with the chantix is a lot easier than you can imagine. I was terrified of quitting but I eventually got to where I didn't want to smoke the smell and the taste all made me sick. The chantix just kind of dulled everything but I did have to make the consious decision not to take that next puff. The urges wont last long when they do come, and as far as the weight gain... I started walking 2 miles a day and going to the sauna and drinking Alot of water. It really helped pull those toxins out and because I am not smoking,I have energy and endurance that I never have had before. I mean it took all I had just to walk around the grocery store for groceries and now I have lost 10Lbs in this past 37 days. You can do this. We will support you all the way. You will grieve because as many of us have, we used smoking as a crutch for so many things and now that its gone its like losing your best friend when in reality its your worst enemy. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 37 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 379 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $111 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi I am new to this site i am so glad they have this on the internet.I quit smoking March 23 and i am taking that pill Chanix ( I think I spelled that wrong) I was taking 2 a day like it says but cut down to one a day I have no feeling to smoke at all I even dont want a drink which is strange for me not even one! Has anyone felt the same way?? I am taking one pill aday now cause I have so many dreams at night it keeps me up . so far I have been fine with just one pill. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 437 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $96.39 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 70 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome! Weight gain could be an issue but your quit should be your PRIORITY!!!! If you stay on top of your food issues and battle it with no sugar, sugar free and low calorie (boring!! but popcorn has helped me) you should be fine. Also know that just by quitting you can expect to gain up to three pounds for what seems like no reason (metabolism slows to a creak). Keep that positive attitude that you have and you will do great! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 86 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,735 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $430 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
17 years ago 0 449 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya Lou P Lou, And welcome to the SSC! I'm a tried and true Chantix quitter along with the SSC! You've been given lots of good advice already. And when you're ready, we'll be tickled pink to share this journey with you! Congratulations on your decision to stop this addiction! Strength to you! Debbie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 168 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,374 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $630 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40

Reading this thread: