Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,673 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

Welcome, New Folks!

17 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to all new quitters and those still planning. This site is just fantastic. There is a ton of support here. I strongly suggest you all work through the site's Online Quit Program. Feel free to look around, read posts, ask questions whether you've actually quit yet or not. We're glad to help out where we can. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 426 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,523 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1618.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 79 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
17 years ago 0 989 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes you can do this! A little over a year ago, cigarettes were oh so important to me. I was obsessed with them as I tried to quit. Every situation reminded me of smoking. Every emotion was paired with smoking. I wanted a cigarette when I was happy, sad, scared or mad. I wanted a cigarette when I was gardening, when I was relaxing, when I was with friends, when I was alone, when I had just had a great meal, when I was hungry, when I was impatient. After going through the worst of withdrawal (and note...did NOT die!), I then went into a slump wondering if I would ever feel like me again. I look back with such pride and awe at this year. And mostly I look back with gratitude for this site and all of the people here. I LIVED here for the first months. I came here every time I had a crave. I sat here at the computer and whined and cried and yelled. A year later (and actually it did not take all of this time), I go DAYS without even thinking of a cigarette. I LOVE being a non-smoker. I am no longer in the closet full of shame. I no longer fear that I will never be able to do it. I wonder what in the heck took me so long. Take the first step and you will find so many here to hold your hand. This freedom is delicious!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 464 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,611 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1624 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 64 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
  • Quit Meter

$795,112.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5685 Hours: 10

Minutes: 18 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 832 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to the opportunity of a life time. If you have ever wanted to quit smoking and are seeking support and encouragement, you sure have come to the right place. I have been around for a time, not as long as Rusty but on my way, A Hall of Fame Member and a smoker for over 58 years. Yes it sure can be done. A lot of new quitters have a lot of questions about what lies in store for them when they quit. I have an old post that might be of some help to help you answer these questions. Print it out and place it on your frige, refer to it when you have questions about what it happening to you. How to Quit Smoking in Six Easy Steps STEP 1: HUMBLE YOURSELF. Your addiction to cigarettes is a beast about the size of Godzilla. Stockpile all the ammunition you can get your hands on ahead of your quit date. If a pacifier is what works for you, swallow your pride and keep on suckin', brother! STEP 2: THINK ROCKY BALBOA. During the first week of your quit, that Godzilla of addiction is going to twist your innards, pound your head, fray your nerves and stomp you into the ground. Remember Rocky: face bruised and bloody, eye swollen shut, slumped against the ropes. Rocky prevailed in the end because, when things were looking bleakest, he did one simple thing: HE REFUSED TO FALL DOWN. STEP 3: NO, REALLY, IT IS YOU. Even if you normally have the disposition of Mother Teresa, during weeks one through four of the quit you will discover the Hitler hiding under your habit. You will find that even the smallest of offenses warrants your full wrath. You will be tempted to give cashiers, employers, and discourteous bus passengers a piece of your mind. Don't. Actually, a piece of your mind is not worth much at this point. You are an irrational boob. Bite your tongue. It will save you countless apologies and, possibly, a lawsuit down the pike. STEP 4: HEY, STUPID! YES, YOU. Between week one through, oh, maybe week twelve, you will have the i.q. of a rutabaga. You will forget things. You will be clumsy. With the exception of performing household chores at 3 a.m. to combat insomnia, you will accomplish almost nothing of significance. This is temporary. However, if you have a safety sensitive job (i.e., nuclear reactor operator, air traffic controller,), you ma
  • Quit Meter

$283,968.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6815 Hours: 8

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
New quitters=New Bump! Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 652 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 18,272 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2282 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 89 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
  • Quit Meter

$55,026.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 649 Hours: 20

Minutes: 9 Seconds: 57

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

bump [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 625 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,523 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2187.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 86 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
  • Quit Meter

$55,026.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

and bump again!
  • Quit Meter

$55,026.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I see at least two new faces this morning. Jump right in and tell us how you're doing! You've come to the best place on line to help you with your quit. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 621 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,397 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2173.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 85 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
  • Quit Meter

$55,026.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

bump for more new folks...Welcome! Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 623 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,457 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2180.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 85 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
  • Quit Meter

$55,026.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Squeaker, congratulations on getting through Day 1. Now you know you can go a day without a cigarette and your head won't explode! lol Everyone's quit is different. My experience is that I thought about my quit for a long time...which is normal considering it is the biggest thing I have ever done in my 57 years here on earth. I must say that I started the process thinking "Oh, it will all be over in a couple of days." NOT. However, once you get past the first week (commonly called Hell Week), the issues change, but never as intense in the first week. Keeping busy is probably the best idea! Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 613 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,179 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2145.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 84 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
  • Quit Meter

$55,026.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Shannon, the most important ingredient is that you want to quit more than you want to smoke. And the most important method is NEVER SMOKE ANOTHER CIGARETTE! You can do it...I know you can! Work the program tools over on the left and stay close by for the next few days. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 614 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,217 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2149 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 84 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
  • Quit Meter

$55,026.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: