Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,719 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ktktindy1, Julesy, grames, rainyjade, AJ8142

what is this new medication I keep hearing about????

17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mercy! I have quit numerous times over the last year or so, with varying degrees of success using NRT (nicotine replacement therapy---gum/lozenges/patches). Chantix, in the US, just gained FDA approval this past summer. It is a nicotine inhibitor and does not contain any nicotine. It blocks the nicotine from reaching the receptors in the brain that find smoking enjoyable. Therefore, you smoke the first week you are on it (you find it less rewarding to smoke---no little high). The second week the dosage increases and you are instructed that day 8 is "quit" day. If you 'slip' you are encouraged to jump back into the quit ASAP. And...if you do'slip' the nicotine does not reach the brain and is therefore not pleasurable, making it easier to continue on with the quit. Chantix is wonderful for those people who were heavy, long-term smokers with a strong desire to quit. You, of course, have to want to quit for it to be successful. I have a neighbor that did not quit and used Chantix for eight weeks while continuing to smoke. She really did not WANT to quit and had a spouse that smoked, inside, and was not supportive. He called her a 'quitter'---what an a$$hole! Anyway, Chantix seems to have a 44% success rate, which is impressive. Of course, everyone is always leery whenever a new drug is introduced into the markeet, but I, for one, cannot say enough good about it. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 191 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,596 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1528 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For sure---take the gum on your meeting. No sense taking chances! Chantix is a prescription. I have had NO side effect coming off of the drug, except a little edginess for a day or two. I have had no active thoughts about smoking since I went off of Chantix. If anything, they can be described as smoking 'memories'. No true urge, so to speak... You have a 56 day quit under your belt. That's not to say you are capable to falling---we ALL are, no matter when we quit. Keep in mind that You know Yourself better than ANYONE and you know where 'breaking point' is......just don't go there! Okay? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 192 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,600 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1536 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45

Reading this thread: